What do you say ?

Kmaz

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 15, 2014
Albany ny
First off , I don't have nearly the knowledge a lot of folks on this forum have, but with tfp as my resource how can I go wrong? I do have lots of friends with pools and feel like I can never talk pool care with them. What do you say to someone when they tell you they keep their Cl. Levels between 1-2? And on top of that don't know or care to know what cya even is? You guys must of ran into this before when talking with say neighbors at a party. I don't know anyone else who maintains there pool with these methods but I just listen, don't even want to tell them I keep Cl levels as high as 7.
Kris

My friends also use floaters with pucks, take water to pool store add stabilized shock "just because" once a week. I bite my tongue. On the other hand, had another friend just buy a home with an above ground green pool. I suggested this site, lent him my TF-100 and he read up on everything and bought test kit the next week and got a clear pool.

If they aren't naturally diy's and don't want to learn, bite your tongue. Maybe they'll ask for your help sometime down the road when they have a problem and see the light?

Pool care is a lot like politics and religion, people are very deeply and personally invested in their particular methods and think they know best. Like politics and religion, it's best not to discuss pool care in friendly company.

When people ask me which pool service company I use or how I get the pool looking nice, I simply tell them I "do it myself" and don't go into details. They usually shrug or say something like, "wow, isn't that too much work?" I just say it is easy for me and the topic usually shifts.

You'll find people will not care about what you do or about how to take care of a pool until they are in crisis mode. At that point you can sometimes change their minds but it's still a 50/50 odds.

My neighbor's use a pool service and swear the guy is a genius and keeps their pool open all summer. The few times I've been in their backyard, their water looks ok (a bit hazy in the deep end) and there's a faint chlorine smell (combined chloramines) but they love it. Someday they may be open to a suggestion but not now; for now they're happy spending $1,200 per year to have someone else do a marginal job caring for their pool. Oh well.

You can kind of feel them out and see it they are receptive to learning about TFP. When someone asks how I maintain my pool I tell them. I can't control whether or not they accept what I say, and I don't argue with them if they say I'm crazy. I usually don't bring up pool care unless someone else does. For some odd reason, pool care seems to fall into the category of things people do not want to admit they have a problem with until they hit rock bottom.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.