Opening the AGP and adding Borax

May 15, 2015
Walden, NY
Hello every one!
I intent to open my pool today (NY) and i like to add Borax (50ppm) to my 14.500 gallon AG pool. I know what to do and how to used both products, borax and muriatic acid to keep the PH at normal levels. I learned all here, thanks to you guys. The only question that i have is: What to do first, meaning the right steps; shock it first/ raised the alk? Than borax? or do the borax first than take care of the chlorine afterwards? Here's my readings:
FC 0.08
TC 019:confused:
PH 7.2
TA88
CYA 40.
The water is clear, cover still on it, water back to normal level ( 1/2 way on the skimmer).
Thanks!

Thanks! To shock the pool, should i use the liquid Clorox 8.25%? Or use the powder package that I have left from las season? i don't have to use it, if you think will mess up the water going to the BBB method and adding the 50ppm borax. Thanks again!

Prior to add Borax: I think I lowered the AL too much (40ppm) from 90. Here is how I did it: After chlorinated the pool to 6 ppm FC, brushed and vacuumed the pool to waste, tested the water last evening, FC 6.0 PH 7.5, TA 90, CYA 40, TH 230. Pump ran all night. Shut it off wait a our, dumped a 1 gl and a 1qrt of muriatic acid, premixed it on a 5 gl pail first. wait 1 hour and tested the water. Results: FC 3.5, CC 4.4, PH 6.5 TA 40,TH 120 CYA 40. Now what? Please help!! Should I add half of the borax since the PH is low? about the TA? Thanks!

Prior to add Borax: I think I lowered the AL too much (40ppm) from 90. Here is how I did it: After chlorinated the pool to 6 ppm FC, brushed and vacuumed the pool to waste, tested the water last evening, FC 6.0 PH 7.5, TA 90, CYA 40, TH 230. Pump ran all night. Shut it off wait a our, dumped a 1 gl and a 1qrt of muriatic acid, premixed it on a 5 gl pail first. wait 1 hour and tested the water. Results: FC 3.5, CC 4.4, PH 6.5 TA 40,TH 120 CYA 40. Now what? Please help!! Should I add half of the borax since the PH is low? about the TA? Thanks!
Yes, deal with the pH using Borax. You already have it there waiting! Then resume your routine. TA will rise a little bit with Borax, but if it isn't enough, deal with it after. That's like the easiest thing to fix and less important than pH and FC by leaps and bounds.

I though about the PH been low, but wasn't sure how much the borax will raise it. Whiling waiting for your response, i did dump 9 boxes of it (689oz) if my math still working properly. I add 1/2 gal of acid to in case. Keep the pump running? or stop it until I add the rest of the borax? And how long should I wait to test the PH, etc? Thanks Richard, great appreciated!

I though about the PH been low, but wasn't sure how much the borax will raise it. Whiling waiting for your response, i did dump 9 boxes of it (689oz) if my math still working properly. I add 1/2 gal of acid to in case. Keep the pump running? or stop it until I add the rest of the borax? And how long should I wait to test the PH, etc? Thanks Richard, great appreciated!
Just plug numbers into poolmath and let it calculate the borax dose to get pH up to your target.

Pump running anytime you add chemicals. You want that stuff mixed as fast as possible, nothing pooling up or settling out on the floor.

I got now. I had the 50 ppm borax goal in my head, 824 oz according to my water volume (14.500gl). How long should i wait to test the water, than add the rest of the borax, 288 oz according to the poolmath to bring the PH to 7.4. Thanks!

I got now. I had the 50 ppm borax goal in my head, 824 oz according to my water volume (14.500gl). How long should i wait to test the water, than add the rest of the borax, 288 oz according to the poolmath to bring the PH to 7.4. Thanks!
Wait half an hour or so, and brush some to make sure all the water is well mixed.

The rest of the borax addition is out of my league. I never added any borates to my pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.