Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Opening the AGP and adding Borax

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Walden, NY
    Posts
    10

    Lightbulb Opening the AGP and adding Borax

    Hello every one!
    I intent to open my pool today (NY) and i like to add Borax (50ppm) to my 14.500 gallon AG pool. I know what to do and how to used both products, borax and muriatic acid to keep the PH at normal levels. I learned all here, thanks to you guys. The only question that i have is: What to do first, meaning the right steps; shock it first/ raised the alk? Than borax? or do the borax first than take care of the chlorine afterwards? Here's my readings:
    FC 0.08
    TC 019
    PH 7.2
    TA88
    CYA 40.
    The water is clear, cover still on it, water back to normal level ( 1/2 way on the skimmer).
    Thanks!
    18'X33'X52" Aqua Leader. Hayward Perflex EC50 Filter System With 1.5 HP Pump.

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad pooldv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    23,994

    Re: Opening the AGP and adding Borax

    Always maintain chlorine first and foremost or the pool will be unsanitary and algae will grow. Chlorine needs to be above minimum for CYA at all times, Chlorine CYA Chart

    I would lower TA to 60 before adding borates, Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Walden, NY
    Posts
    10

    Re: Opening the AGP and adding Borax

    Thanks! To shock the pool, should i use the liquid Clorox 8.25%? Or use the powder package that I have left from las season? i don't have to use it, if you think will mess up the water going to the BBB method and adding the 50ppm borax. Thanks again!
    18'X33'X52" Aqua Leader. Hayward Perflex EC50 Filter System With 1.5 HP Pump.

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Walden, NY
    Posts
    10

    Re: Opening the AGP and adding Borax

    Prior to add Borax: I think I lowered the AL too much (40ppm) from 90. Here is how I did it: After chlorinated the pool to 6 ppm FC, brushed and vacuumed the pool to waste, tested the water last evening, FC 6.0 PH 7.5, TA 90, CYA 40, TH 230. Pump ran all night. Shut it off wait a our, dumped a 1 gl and a 1qrt of muriatic acid, premixed it on a 5 gl pail first. wait 1 hour and tested the water. Results: FC 3.5, CC 4.4, PH 6.5 TA 40,TH 120 CYA 40. Now what? Please help!! Should I add half of the borax since the PH is low? about the TA? Thanks!
    18'X33'X52" Aqua Leader. Hayward Perflex EC50 Filter System With 1.5 HP Pump.

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: Opening the AGP and adding Borax

    Quote Originally Posted by aprendiz View Post
    Prior to add Borax: I think I lowered the AL too much (40ppm) from 90. Here is how I did it: After chlorinated the pool to 6 ppm FC, brushed and vacuumed the pool to waste, tested the water last evening, FC 6.0 PH 7.5, TA 90, CYA 40, TH 230. Pump ran all night. Shut it off wait a our, dumped a 1 gl and a 1qrt of muriatic acid, premixed it on a 5 gl pail first. wait 1 hour and tested the water. Results: FC 3.5, CC 4.4, PH 6.5 TA 40,TH 120 CYA 40. Now what? Please help!! Should I add half of the borax since the PH is low? about the TA? Thanks!
    Yes, deal with the pH using Borax. You already have it there waiting! Then resume your routine. TA will rise a little bit with Borax, but if it isn't enough, deal with it after. That's like the easiest thing to fix and less important than pH and FC by leaps and bounds.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Walden, NY
    Posts
    10

    Re: Opening the AGP and adding Borax

    I though about the PH been low, but wasn't sure how much the borax will raise it. Whiling waiting for your response, i did dump 9 boxes of it (689oz) if my math still working properly. I add 1/2 gal of acid to in case. Keep the pump running? or stop it until I add the rest of the borax? And how long should I wait to test the PH, etc? Thanks Richard, great appreciated!
    18'X33'X52" Aqua Leader. Hayward Perflex EC50 Filter System With 1.5 HP Pump.

  7. Back To Top    #7
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: Opening the AGP and adding Borax

    Quote Originally Posted by aprendiz View Post
    I though about the PH been low, but wasn't sure how much the borax will raise it. Whiling waiting for your response, i did dump 9 boxes of it (689oz) if my math still working properly. I add 1/2 gal of acid to in case. Keep the pump running? or stop it until I add the rest of the borax? And how long should I wait to test the PH, etc? Thanks Richard, great appreciated!
    Just plug numbers into poolmath and let it calculate the borax dose to get pH up to your target.

    Pump running anytime you add chemicals. You want that stuff mixed as fast as possible, nothing pooling up or settling out on the floor.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Walden, NY
    Posts
    10

    Re: Opening the AGP and adding Borax

    I got now. I had the 50 ppm borax goal in my head, 824 oz according to my water volume (14.500gl). How long should i wait to test the water, than add the rest of the borax, 288 oz according to the poolmath to bring the PH to 7.4. Thanks!
    18'X33'X52" Aqua Leader. Hayward Perflex EC50 Filter System With 1.5 HP Pump.

  9. Back To Top    #9
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: Opening the AGP and adding Borax

    Quote Originally Posted by aprendiz View Post
    I got now. I had the 50 ppm borax goal in my head, 824 oz according to my water volume (14.500gl). How long should i wait to test the water, than add the rest of the borax, 288 oz according to the poolmath to bring the PH to 7.4. Thanks!
    Wait half an hour or so, and brush some to make sure all the water is well mixed.

    The rest of the borax addition is out of my league. I never added any borates to my pool.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •