Am I on the right track?

Jul 4, 2015
Bridge City, TX
I *think* I was starting to get an algae bloom yesterday. We have had a ton of rain this last few months, so I have been trying to get our CYA back up. It was reading less than 30. Added stabilizer this week to get it to 30. I will probably add more but wanted to start there. I've also been trying to get my Ca up but we have added Ca twice with no change from 200??

When I woke up yesterday it looked like there was something on the walls of the pool. We are having issues with fine sand (especially after rain) in the pool since we have a ton of it in the yard right now. But this looked sandy, but it was on the walls of the pool. :confused: Once I started brushing, I realized in some spots it looked a little green. I went ahead and started a slam. Kept the FC level at 12 or more all day. At 6 am, the FC was 11. CC has been 0 every time I have tested it. I would say that I passed OCLT, but this am, I still see a few areas where there is the same substance on the walls just below the waterline tile. When I wipe it with my hand, it doesn't feel slimy but it comes off in a cloud in the water. I decided to continue to SLAM today and do another OCLT in the am. Water is crystal clear. Do you agree?

5/27am:
CYA 30
Ca 200
CC 0
FC 1.5
ph 7.8

FC 12

FC 12

FC 10
PH 8.4

2030 (dark)
FC 12.5
PH 7.6

It stormed all night.

This am's readings:
FC 11
Ph 7.8

You're doing it perfectly! :goodjob:

The killer on the SLAM is "The water is clear." That means even after a thorough brushing it still looks clear. Yours isn't, or won't be after you break out the "Batwing buster" brush, so you maintain shock level. You can't brush too much during a SLAM. Algae can grow a slimy skin (biofilm, I believe it's called) to protect itself, and brushing scrapes it off so the chlorine can go in for the kill.

Brush the walls well today and keep the FC up. If you pass the OCLT tonight then you are good. If you have tablets in the chlorinator be sure you take them out before you run the OCLT.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.