Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Am I on the right track?

1. Back To Top    #1

Bridge City, TX

Am I on the right track?

I *think* I was starting to get an algae bloom yesterday. We have had a ton of rain this last few months, so I have been trying to get our CYA back up. It was reading less than 30. Added stabilizer this week to get it to 30. I will probably add more but wanted to start there. I've also been trying to get my Ca up but we have added Ca twice with no change from 200??

When I woke up yesterday it looked like there was something on the walls of the pool. We are having issues with fine sand (especially after rain) in the pool since we have a ton of it in the yard right now. But this looked sandy, but it was on the walls of the pool. Once I started brushing, I realized in some spots it looked a little green. I went ahead and started a slam. Kept the FC level at 12 or more all day. At 6 am, the FC was 11. CC has been 0 every time I have tested it. I would say that I passed OCLT, but this am, I still see a few areas where there is the same substance on the walls just below the waterline tile. When I wipe it with my hand, it doesn't feel slimy but it comes off in a cloud in the water. I decided to continue to SLAM today and do another OCLT in the am. Water is crystal clear. Do you agree?

CYA 30
    Ca 200
    CC 0
    FC 1.5
    ph 7.8

FC 12

FC 12

FC 10
    PH 8.4

2030 (dark)
    FC 12.5
    PH 7.6

It stormed all night.

This am's readings:
    FC 11
    Ph 7.8
    24,000 gallon free form IG gunite pool w/8' round raised spa. 700 sq ft pea gravel decking. Tahoe blue pebble tech. Pentair 2HP Sulerflo pump. CCP 420 cartridge filter. Polaris 280. 320 inline chlorinator. Mastertemp 400,000 btu heater. Pentair LED light in pool and spa. Easy Touch automated system.

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Am I on the right track?

You're doing it perfectly!

The killer on the SLAM is "The water is clear." That means even after a thorough brushing it still looks clear. Yours isn't, or won't be after you break out the "Batwing buster" brush, so you maintain shock level. You can't brush too much during a SLAM. Algae can grow a slimy skin (biofilm, I believe it's called) to protect itself, and brushing scrapes it off so the chlorine can go in for the kill.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Houston, Texas

Re: Am I on the right track?

Brush the walls well today and keep the FC up. If you pass the OCLT tonight then you are good. If you have tablets in the chlorinator be sure you take them out before you run the OCLT.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!