Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Year 5, still love you guys!

1. Back To Top    #1

Year 5, still love you guys!

Not terribly active around here these days, but I never forget how amazing this community has been, and still is. There's always folks with a ready answer, useful advice, and kind words. I've lost track now of how many friends' pools I've helped "rescue" with what I've learned form this group, and every year I open, swim, and close with more than a little amazement at how consistent, simple, and effective "all this stuff" is.

5th year of the pool, 5th year of 'the method".

Water's still a bit chilly (21 C this morning) but had our first dip yesterday. Hoping it'll warm up a bit this week in time for our Air Show party next weekend.

Adding Borates for the first time this year. Starting slow, no reason to rush.

This morning's numbers :

FC - 3.5
    CC - 0
    pH - 7.6
    TA - 90
    CYA - 30
    Borates - 15ppm

13268216_901010970044939_6936704480264880916_o.jpg

Thanks, gang, and best wishes for a summer full of fun, relaxation, and trouble free pools!
    -Gordon
    Pool School helps me maintain my 13,500G 24' x 48" ASP with Sand Filtration using a TF100 Test Kit and Pool Calculator.
    Remember, the Shock Process should be followed until : 1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.
    --I didn't buy my pool to swim in it. I bought my pool to watch my wife swim in it. :wink:

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Year 5, still love you guys!

Now that you have this thing mastered, you should hang out and answer some questions. Or CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! Just think of all the money TFP has saved you. I know, I'm shameless.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Since we're always about showing off the whole "backyard oasis" around here as well, every so often you may notice a small white building right next to our pool.

This guy :

Houses this guy

Who allows me to produce things like this

---

No...it has nothing whatsoever to do with the pool...but it's part of my oasis and it's fun to show off sometimes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Now that you have this thing mastered, you should hang out and answer some questions.
    LOL not sure I'd say "Mastered", Richard, but you're right...I probably really ought to give something back.

Or CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! Just think of all the money TFP has saved you. I know, I'm shameless.
    Ya know what, I should, by golly.

Done.

(I forgot to include my forum username, doh! But it's close enough to my real name you ought to be able to figure it out. *heh* )
    Last edited by gboulton; 05-28-2016 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Incorrect link
    -Gordon
    Pool School helps me maintain my 13,500G 24' x 48" ASP with Sand Filtration using a TF100 Test Kit and Pool Calculator.
    Remember, the Shock Process should be followed until : 1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.
    --I didn't buy my pool to swim in it. I bought my pool to watch my wife swim in it. :wink:

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

those are awesome pictures
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    those are awesome pictures
    Thank you, sir!
    -Gordon

6. Back To Top    #6

Nice pool! And cool telescope! Thanks for supporting TFP and thanks for the pics!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Nice pool! And cool telescope! Thanks for supporting TFP and thanks for the pics!
    Thanks!
    -Gordon

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Well, that picture of the stars is just stunning!!

How much time do you spend with it. Is humidity control a problem in the box??

(Thank you for your contribution. TFP is appreciative.)
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Well, that picture of the stars is just stunning!!
    Thanks!

How much time do you spend with it.
    Most of my nebula images like that one represent about 15-20 hours of total camera exposure time, usually over several weeks, due to weather/work/etc. That one in particular was about 12 hours, done over a rare 2 back to back clear nights with good conditions.

Is humidity control a problem in the box??
    Not really. I mean, once it's opened up to do imaging, I'm at the mercy of whatever the ambient conditions are anyway. We employ various tricks like extendable shields or "dew heaters" (the little black/silver strap at the end of my scope with wires dangling down is my dew heater) to try to keep the lens itself from fogging up, but the equipment generally tolerates dew pretty well.

When it's all closed up, there's just a bucket of DampRid down in the bottom to try to keep stuff from soaking in moisture all day every day.

(Thank you for your contribution. TFP is appreciative.)
    Richard was quite right...TFP's saved me a ton over the years, both in hard cash terms and in frustration!
    -Gordon

10. Back To Top    #10

Love this kind of post AND you becoming a supporting member! I also saw your post to another person that was very well done. So well done I did not have to do anything so I was able to look you up and see who this person was that was giving out such good advice!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Awwww shucks, Kim.

Thanks for the kind words.
    -Gordon

12. Back To Top    #12

Nice!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

13. Back To Top    #13

Very interesting thread and cool set up!
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks much, Casy and needsajet!
    -Gordon

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

I thought it was going to be some kind of new age dog house...then BAM, you go all Very Large Array on us! So cool.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!