Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Changing sand

1. Back To Top    #1

Changing sand

How do most people get rid of their used sand when they replace with new?
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Changing sand

We generally do not recomend changing sand unless you have used a chemical that has gummed up the sand or calcium scale has turned it to concrete. The sand does not wear out. Pool $tores recomend changing it because they sell sand. Just clean it.

Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with Tim, but if you must remove the sand best way is to drain all the water out and let the sand dry completely then vacuum out with a shop vac.

21'x52 AGP 11200 Gal
    TFPC Method

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok thanks......I might have an issue with my laterals so I'm prob gonna have to remove sand. Getting some sand in pool
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by ethany View Post
    Ok thanks......I might have an issue with my laterals so I'm prob gonna have to remove sand. Getting some sand in pool
    No fun! But if it has been a few years since you've changed sand you COULD change it since it's already out. Although fine particles in the sand could get into the pool during the first couple cycles. Plus they say dirty sand filters better than new sand. Good luck hope it's nothing major.

21'x52 AGP 11200 Gal
    TFPC Method

6. Back To Top    #6

Well I unscrewed the drain plug n it's taking forever for the water to drain. It's a fast trickle.....does that mean it's REALLY dirty?

7. Back To Top    #7

I don't think so. I think it's meant to be more for winterization where you leave it off the whole winter. It will probably take a while to drain that way. If you think it's that dirty maybe backwash it first

21'x52 AGP 11200 Gal
    TFPC Method

8. Back To Top    #8

Have you closed all valves and turned the multiport valve to off? If not, you could be draining the pool through the filter.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

9. Back To Top    #9

I disconnected all the plumbing n took multi port off the filter. Is that right? I hope

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by ethany View Post
    I disconnected all the plumbing n took multi port off the filter. Is that right? I hope
    If there's no plumbing connected to the filter, then yes you're fine just a waiting game unless you want to try to suck out the wet sand. Just make sure when you disconnected the plumbing that either valves are closed or sealed well so the pool water won't leak out that way.

21'x52 AGP 11200 Gal
    TFPC Method