Cleaning Intellichlor40

stever

LifeTime Supporter
My pool was finished a bit over 9 months ago and has an IC40 SWCG. It worked great last season. Then it got cold and it shut off -- still fine. This season as the waster has warmed up I raised the percentage to keep the water balanced -- and raised it -- and raised it. OK something is wrong. I bit slow, mind you, but I finally notices the "check cell" light was blinking on the unit. It's be nice if it relayed this to the controller inside, but my fault for not noticing.

I thought that it probably has some build-up on it and pulled the cell out to inspect. As suspected, there was some nive calcium buildup on the center vanes, but the ones near the sides were clean. Either way, hosed it out -- no effect -- still stuck on. I know an acit bath is the right ting to do now, but I don't have a cap to plug the bottom and I really want to get it working. So I took a coathanger and without cutting it bent one side to a tight loop and gently ran this betwene the vanes. It fit perfectly and pushed off a boatload of calcium deposits. Did not take much pressure to get off. After hosing off again and reassembling, it worked great. No more blinking light.

Questions:

1) did I do terrible harm by by unorthadox cleaning method? Seems if I didn't scratch it, it might be better than burning off some of the metal with acid....

2) Why so much calcium build-up so soon? Probably because it was a new plaster pool... The manual states to use a pass-through dummy cell for 30 days. The PB (otherwise great experience) said he never heard of that and didn't know if they were even available.... Maybe pH was a bit high...?

3) Has anybody bought a cap forr the bottom to acit clean the cell? I guess I could make one with a half of a screw fitting, a section of pipe and a cap...

Thanks,

Steve

I don't have any advice on your unorthidox cleaning method although I don't think I would have tried that. I've had my IC20 for close to 2 years now and it's just been plugging along fine. I've been thinking I should inspect and possibly clean mine too so I tracked down the Pentair plug for the job. What you need is Pentair part # 520670: IntelliChlor Acid Washing Kit (includes closed-end union cap, O-ring, and coupling nut). Google "Pentair 520670" and you'll find a bunch of places to order it from... should be about $20 for the kit.

I've heard you can use an expanding plug purchased from home depot to do the trick also, but for $20 I figured I'd just make sure I have the right tool for the job and not have to worry about the plug falling out or acid leaking.

You run a risk when you insert something that you can scratch the plates or bend them. A bent plate is worse than a scratch, since it can ruin the cell. Anyway, it is certainly possible, but I would not risk it.

The calcium scaling is because of bad water balance, most likely letting your PH get too high. It is very important to not let the PH get above 8.0. If you post a full set of water test results we can give you more specific advice.

You can use plastic or wooden objects to help calcium to peel off the plates. Using metal objects like a screwdriver is a big NO NO. Not sure about other manufacturers, but with Autochlor if scratches from a screwdriver were found it would certainly void the warranty.

Acid doesn't damage the coating, hence why it's preferred method of cleaning.

As far as the manual saying to use a dummy cell for the first month, i always thought that you are not supposed to put salt in your pool for first month until the plaster cured.

Strannik said:
You can use plastic or wooden objects to help calcium to peel off the plates. Using metal objects like a screwdriver is a big NO NO. Not sure about other manufacturers, but with Autochlor if scratches from a screwdriver were found it would certainly void the warranty.

Acid doesn't damage the coating, hence why it's preferred method of cleaning.

As far as the manual saying to use a dummy cell for the first month, i always thought that you are not supposed to put salt in your pool for first month until the plaster cured.

Thanks -- It was a plastic coated hanger, so no sharp edges or metal exposed.

I have to figure the acid does reduce the life -- thought even the manual says this....? I'll have to read again. Either way -- I do know that is the preferrred method.

Yes, we did not have salt for a month. But the pump was running water through the filter and thus through the unplugged (but cell-installed) IC40.

Steve

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.