New Pool in NJ - Questions on testing results

JG621

May 28, 2016
NJ
Hi all - Recently had in-ground 14 x 28 vinyl pool built in Northern NJ, about 14k gallons. Pool has been open about a month and earlier in the week found a dead mole floating around. I threw in some extra chlorine tablets and cranked the chlorinator up to full speed. Had the water tested yesterday and the chlorine is up to 8ppm. PH is at 8 as well but I was told I shouldn't need to add anything as it will go down on its own due to the other readings (below). Should I be doing anything to lower the PH or will lower chlorine have any effect on that? I'm hoping the sun and nice weather will lower the chlorine. Appreciate any input!

PH - 8
TA - 100
CYA - 90
CH - 250
Phosphates - 500

Welcome to TFP :)

You are being pool stored... Your levels may or may not be what you posted, most pool stores are way off.. your pucks are adding CYA by the minute and at 90 (guess) you're at the point to drain half of your water to get CYA out..

Here is what I would do :)

Go to walmart and get 10% bleach/pool shock in the pool section at 2.50 a gallon, grab 10 bottles You can also use regular bleach from the laundry isle
go to lowes and get 2 gallons of muriatic acid (chemtech)
order the TF100 or K-2006.. the tf100 is the better deal and the speedstir is awesome :)

Put 1/2 gallon of bleach/pool shock per day until your TF100 arrives
using poolmath drop your PH to 7.5, at 8 or above you run the risk of calcium scaling

get used to poolmath above, it works great and will help you with your pool
check out pool school Pool School - Pool School

When your TF100 arrives post your numbers here and we will help you get going

I hope this helps :)

Hi all - I received the TF100 kit this week and finally got around to testing my water today. Results are below:

TC -7.5
CH - 225
TA - 100
CYA - it was around 50 when I wasn't able to see the black dot anymore
PH - Looked to be in between 7.5 and 7.8

Is my chlorine considered high? I already bought the tub of pucks to stick in the chlorinator but reading through this forum I see that everyone prefers liquid bleach. Should I stop using the pucks?

Hi all - I received the TF100 kit this week and finally got around to testing my water today. Results are below:

TC -7.5
CH - 225
TA - 100

Is my chlorine considered high? I already bought the tub of pucks to stick in the chlorinator but reading through this forum I see that everyone prefers liquid bleach. Should I stop using the pucks?

YES! Stop using the pucks. Your CYA is already above the recommended level for a manually chlorinated pool (not salt water generator). If you continue to use the pucks your CYA will continue to creep up and create problems.

For levels:
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Your FC is perfect for your CYA right now and your CH is good, you TA is a little high so your PH may rise over a couple days..

Yes, stop using pucks and start using bleach/liquid chlorine you never want your FC below 4 and you want to target 6 to 7 FC daily..

See if you have a HASA dealer near you for 12.5% or get your bleach from walmart, they also have liquid chlorine 10% in the pool isle for 2.50 a gallon :) whatever % you get change the percentage in the top of poolmath

I hope this helps :)

TC -7.5
CH - 225
TA - 100

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.