I want to understand Pool Math

Captain 776

Bronze Supporter
May 2, 2016
Thailand
First of all, my water is crystal clear, better than it has ever been.

My test numbers May 28:
Salt - 3.11
PH - 7.4
Chlorine - bright yellow, more than the 3.0 on the comparator scale
CYA - somewhere between 0 and less than 30. After 2 cups of acid and 2 pucks in pool for 3 weeks
FC - 10
CC - 1.0 turned light pale purple and only 2 drops, back to clear
CH - 40
TA - 40

Dont know why my CC is 1 when my chlorine level is high.
Dont know why my CYA is not increasing.

I want to use Pool Math, but how do I know what to enter for the correct GOAL amount?

SWG was always on Max, so I turned it down to 70% a few days ago, my chlorine level has always been off the scale for the 1.5 yrs I had this pool. I thought that was good, high chlorine = no algae ....is that a correct assumption?

Thanks,

Bruce

I want to use Pool Math, but how do I know what to enter for the correct GOAL amount?
Bruce, if you look below in my signature you'll see a link called "Recommended Levels". That's where you get your goals from.

As for the CYA, as long as it is that low you will always struggle with FC loss and an increased potential for algae (and CCs). CYA is basically lost from water exchange. You definitely need to increase it right away. Since your CCs are elevated, I would recommend first taking the CYA to 30 and performing an overnight (OCLT) test to ensure you have no algae before taking the CYA to the recommended SWG level of 70. That way if you fail the OCLT and have to do a SLAM, you can do so at the lower CYA first and save some bleach.

I would also recommend increasing TA to at least 50 with some baking soda.

Thanks for your replies.

My pool in concrete structure with ceramic tiles for the face, so I used the Plaster numbers.......correct?

April is the hottest month of the year in Thailand and this year it was record breaking heat and intense sun every day, it is a bit less now but still a strong sun during the day.
Using the comparator and drops, shows my Chlorine level very bright yellow and way above the 3.0 mark? Any comment on that.
That is all I have used so far is the comparator tube for Chlorine and PH.
Is there a more accurate method for determining the Chlorine level? Is there a digital meter for it?
I will check the internet now, but what method9s) do you guys prefer?

Screenshot of the Pool Math.
I will go to World Chemical tomorrow and try to get the CYA in line and then do a OCLT and where where that is.
Based on the Pool Math results in the screenshot........I should;
1. Add 6 96 oz Jugs of Bleach
2. Add 120 oz Weight or 96 oz by Volume of Baking Soda
3. Add 227 oz Weight or 181 oz by Volume of Calcium Chloride
4. Add 91 oz Weight or 95 oz by Volume of stabiliser, I am going to try to find the 235 oz of liquid

Can you review my pool math and plan forward........did I understand it correctly?

Yes, use plaster for your pool type. Pool School - Recommended Levels To measure chlorine we prefer the FAS/DPD test. Granular stabilizer/CYA is quite a bit cheaper than liquid. Did you change the parameters at the bottom to TFP, SWG and plaster? Salt needs to be entered in PPM.

You will be Ok with CH at 350 and TA at 60.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.