Eyeball Problem

May 13, 2016
Savannah, GA
I'm fairly confident this is an easy one, but my pool's eyeballs, when fully tightened, are pointed straight out. In a previous post, someone felt the location of dead algae in the pool indicated they were pointed incorrectly and should be pointed toward the center of the pool so that debris could be pushed toward the center for the skimmer to pick it up. This ended up fixing a lot of my problems.

However, in order to fix the direction of the eyeballs, I had to loosen them on the threads. When I'm trying to vacuum, I see air bubbles coming from behind the eyeballs as a result. Have a hard time believing every pool owner has to tighten their eyeballs every time they want to vacuum to seal up circulation. Any suggestions to have them point inward correctly and be tight on the threads?

Gently twist both ends of your vacuum hose. Both should be tight. If one of them spins it means that it is not watertight and can suck air into your system if it happens to the end that is attached to the vacuum / skimmer adaptor. If one end spins, the fix for this is use the end that spins at the vacuum attachment. If both ends spin, the only real fix is to get a new hose. While your at it, check your hose for pin holes (another source of air).

If you need to replace your hose, the question you need to ask yourself, is there enough of an air leak to effect the filter operation. If only a few bubbles, then no action really necessary. If a lot of bubbles, then yes a new hose is needed.

However, in order to fix the direction of the eyeballs, I had to loosen them on the threads. When I'm trying to vacuum, I see air bubbles coming from behind the eyeballs as a result.
I don't understand that. loosening the threads can't allow any air in - -they are still below the water level.

Am I missing something?

I don't understand that. loosening the threads can't allow any air in - -they are still below the water level.

Am I missing something?

Good point, I think I stated that incorrectly. But bubbles definitely come up from the back of the eyeballs now when I try and vacuum. When tight they are pointed in the straight out direction, but they are flush with the wall. Loosening them creates the small space between the back of the eyeball and the wall where these bubbles are coming up. I figured this may have had something to do with the level of suction being virtually zero now. If this still doesn't make sense, then I take a photo of it happening or make a short video and link to it so that you can see what I'm talking about. Because of this forum and Pool School I have thankfully become very comfortable with the testing and chemistry aspect of maintaining the pool and fixing any issues that come up related to those. But as far as the general physics of the circulation and equipment, I am still very new to things.

- - - Updated - - -

Gently twist both ends of your vacuum hose. Both should be tight. If one of them spins it means that it is not watertight and can suck air into your system if it happens to the end that is attached to the vacuum / skimmer adaptor. If one end spins, the fix for this is use the end that spins at the vacuum attachment. If both ends spin, the only real fix is to get a new hose. While your at it, check your hose for pin holes (another source of air).

If you need to replace your hose, the question you need to ask yourself, is there enough of an air leak to effect the filter operation. If only a few bubbles, then no action really necessary. If a lot of bubbles, then yes a new hose is needed.

Thank you for the advice! It is a brand new hose (i.e. I have used it about 5 times), but of course that doesn't mean it is incapable of already having been damaged either before purchase or during my use. I will check it out and see if any of these issues exist with the hose.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.