Dead algae? Or "smooooooooke in the water"...??

May 22, 2013
St Louis, MO
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Dead algae? Or "smooooooooke in the water"...??

Hopefully you "sang" that like I did...

Anyway .. opened our pool to the worst amount of algae we've ever had (closed too early last year.. late Indian Summer.. warm winter.. early Spring... crazy!) Thus, leaving us with the nastiest looking pond I've ever seen.

Have been SLAMing (or so I thought), however I was calculating the Vertex at 12.5%.... its only 10%.. *facepalm* Ugh. Explains a lot, right there...

Now that I'm properly calculating the bleach input, I'm definitely seeing better results!! The water seems ALMOST cleared up, but suuuuper cloudy. Dead algae, I presume? ( Dead algae?? - YouTube )

What's the best way to clear that out? DE? Where do I get DE? Checked the .coms of Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, & Rural King, but none of them seem to have the "right stuff". Thoughts??

FC: 6.5
Ph: 7.2
TA: 50
CYA: 40 (was at 0 - raising via dangling Skimmer sock in front of return jet)

Thanks!!!
Cathy

- - - Updated - - -

Ooh.. forgot to ask... when should we expect to replace the sand in our filter? Next door neighbor has a river birch that drops those stupid yellow pod things, and there's a rogue cottonwood tree somewhere around us (haven't found it yet, but Oooh... when I do....). Other than that, we don't get TOO many weird things falling into the pool - aside from wolf spiders, of course. :)

Cathy, my rock band in high school played that song, so yes ... I sang it. :) For DE, checkout THIS THREAD. If your CYA is still at 40, remove the sock now for the SLAM! For a SLAM and a CYA of 40, your FC SLAM level is 16. So you'll want it up there 24/7. If you let the CYA increase now you'll need more bleach. I would re-test CYA in a couple days. As for the sand, it should never need to be replaced. You can however simply do a deep clean as outlined on the Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter page. Hope that helps.

Thank you!!!

When I wasn't home one afternoon, my husband sneaked in some Leslie's Ultra Bright (I think.. its the dark blue sludgy stuff)... unfortunately for my argument, it worked beautifully and the water is ALMOST perfect. Its still much more gorgeous now... at least, swimmable! I'm having a very hard time arguing my point for not using their stuff right now. Haha.

So glad to hear the sand shouldnt need to be replaced!! That's quite a relief. I wasn't looking forward to that one bit!

Thanks for the info links!! I'm headed to check them out now! :)

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!! Thank you to all who have served our country!! <3

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.