Jandy JXI 400 wont stay on

Feb 13, 2016
Ingleside
I installed a new jandy jxi 400 and the heater wont stay on. It fires on for about 2 seconds then goes out. At first we thought the meter wasn't big enough so we had the size increase. That didn't work. The gas line was on the was on boarder of recommended size of 1" for a short run so today we had a new line install (1.5") and still had the sames results. My question is before i dump anymore money into have a pool guy come out does anyone have any recommendations. It is a very short run only 30 feet. The plumber did check the pressure at the heater on the old line and new line and there was only about 3.5wc could this really be the problem and do i need to call the gas company back out. Thanks for any help very frustrated right now.

What does the manufacturer say the w.c. reading needs to be at for this unit? 3.5" seems way low. It could be as simple as adjusting the regulator . Do you have a regulator by the heater?

Most importantly, you need a professional out to adjust and make sure everything is right. Not knowing what you really need is what gets most DIY folks in trouble. Not sure what you replaced with this unit but sounds like it was a much smaller unit.

Spend the money and get a qualified tech out to look at evreything. It will be money well spent, piece of mind, and less frustrating.

Thanks Paul. We are trying to find a local tech now, just want to make sure everything on the gas companies side is done first. There is no regulator after the meter do it looks like out gas company needs to adjust the one before the meter.
What does the manufacturer say the w.c. reading needs to be at for this unit? 3.5" seems way low. It could be as simple as adjusting the regulator . Do you have a regulator by the heater?

Most importantly, you need a professional out to adjust and make sure everything is right. Not knowing what you really need is what gets most DIY folks in trouble. Not sure what you replaced with this unit but sounds like it was a much smaller unit.

Spend the money and get a qualified tech out to look at evreything. It will be money well spent, piece of mind, and less frustrating.

Is the board flashing any codes? It should try to ignite 3 times, then go into ignition lock and flash an error code on the circuit board led. Check the flame sensing rod... The heater is calling for heat but if the flame sensing rod is faulty, the ignition module will immediate shut off the gas as it thinks the gas never ignited.

Another possibility is that the ignition module itself could be defective.

Also, since the heater is new, make sure its set up for the correct voltage. Mine came set up for 220v but all my equipment is 120v so it had to be set up for 120v before it would work.

Here's a troubleshooting guide.. Step #17 of the Lxi guide is where you are.. It ignites but doesn't stay on.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.fwwebb.com/docs/gas/JandyPoolHeaterTroubleshootingGuides.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwi_ma6a1v_MAhVMQ1IKHS6wAXYQFggfMAI&usg=AFQjCNGJWuL4abD8B-F5a5ViXBdhNBoyKw&sig2=La4VIRF3vrQ1-vOHG-HXJw

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Here is what the manual on the JXI heater says for pressures.

JXi.jpg

I will say that I have not run into any of these units yet but I can see they are very similar to the Pentair/StaRite MasterTemp/Max E Therm units in design. Strike one. LOL

Yes after the 3rd time it says fault check ignition step. The manual does say that low volume will cause that fault. Just very surprised that after updating the meter and adding a new line it still wouldn't be able to sustain the flow. I also had to switch the board around when I bought the unit since I'm using 120v. At this point I'm hoping that the plumbers pressure test was correct at 3.5wc and that's the issue. Should be easier enough for the gas company to increase their regulator.

Is the board flashing any codes? It should try to ignite 3 times, then go into ignition lock and flash an error code on the circuit board led. Check the flame sensing rod... The heater is calling for heat but if the flame sensing rod is faulty, the ignition module will immediate shut off the gas as it thinks the gas never ignited.

Another possibility is that the ignition module itself could be defective.

Also, since the heater is new, make sure its set up for the correct voltage. Mine came set up for 220v but all my equipment is 120v so it had to be set up for 120v before it would work.

Here's a troubleshooting guide.. Step #17 of the Lxi guide is where you are.. It ignites but doesn't stay on.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.fwwebb.com/docs/gas/JandyPoolHeaterTroubleshootingGuides.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwi_ma6a1v_MAhVMQ1IKHS6wAXYQFggfMAI&usg=AFQjCNGJWuL4abD8B-F5a5ViXBdhNBoyKw&sig2=La4VIRF3vrQ1-vOHG-HXJw

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah when I was researching units I thought jandy was the way to go but with the advances in tech it just allows for more problems.

I see a loooooot of technical jargon here, and that’s great, it’s all useful. But I’d like to share something I have not found anywhere while I had been trying to fix this problem. After all of these steps and several calls to tech support. In the end, I observed the flame lite, and then get blown down. I lifted the vent, and found the heat exchanger covered in carbon deposits. I couldn’t even see the bottom where the burners are. Sooooo, in the end, it was just a matter of blowing the crud off the fins (and there was a lot!!!) and vacuuming it out. That was it. Everything works now. The combustion process relies on convection. if you starve or muzzle the flame, it won’t work.

Reactions: taylortechnologies
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.