Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool

I am in the process of filling my 27' above ground pool and I have two questions.
    1. The pool pump is a Waterway Hi-Flo II 48-Frame Side Discharge and it came with a 3' NEMA cord attached. I would like to install a pool timer for the pump however the timer I purchased (Intermatic T104R 208-277 Volt) needs to be hard wired to the pump. Should I just remove the cord and hard wire it myself or what other options are there?
    2. The pump is 115 volt / 13.5 amp. What size circuit breaker should I use in the breaker box? I am going to hard wire the pump/timer as a dedicated circuit. Also, with the aforementioned specs will the pool timer from question one work or should I exchange it.

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool

Technically removing the plug causes the pump to loose it's UL listing. Many people don't care, but insurance companies do. I wouldn't cut it off/ remove it. Just add a new receptacle that is energized by the new timer and plug it in there.

The size breaker is determined by the size wire and down stream devices installed. Is this all new wiring? If so go with 12g minimum on the wire and 20a GFCI breaker.

What is the depth of the pool as that is the determining factor on the electrical regulations that need to be followed?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

tim5505,

Thanks for the prompt response. I was thinking about installing a switch between the pump plug-in and the timer. The pool is 54'' tall so therefore its a permanent pool. Its all going to be new wiring from my outside breaker box under my power meter. I feel comfortable doing electrical in-side a home but this is the first time I have had a pool since I was a kid and then my parents handled all of this stuff.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Hi, Bill, Welcome to the forum.

Is that pump capable of running 220v? Generally, that works a bit better for pool pumps.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by billtrivett View Post
    tim5505,

Thanks for the prompt response. I was thinking about installing a switch between the pump plug-in and the timer. The pool is 54'' tall so therefore its a permanent pool. Its all going to be new wiring from my outside breaker box under my power meter. I feel comfortable doing electrical in-side a home but this is the first time I have had a pool since I was a kid and then my parents handled all of this stuff.
    Then you need to follow the full pool code including a bonding grid around the pool and attached to all equipment.

2014 NEC from Mike Holt : http://www.mikeholt.com/download.php...as_2014NEC.pdf
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Total agree. Also, the motor last longer and more cost efficiency.
    18'X33'X52" Aqua Leader. Hayward Perflex EC50 Filter System With 1.5 HP Pump.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I talked to an electrician and will get the 120 volt timer with a 20 amp breaker.

8. Back To Top    #8

You still should have a switch that is visible to shut it off in emergency.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by banditig View Post
    You still should have a switch that is visible to shut it off in emergency.
    correct, it needs a shut off within sight of the pump. If the breaker is nin a sub panel of 6 breakers or less it can act as the switch, again it has to be within sight of the pump.