O-ring replacement needed?

rhythm

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 1, 2008
Lake Forest, CA
I'm in the process of trying to detect a suction-side air leak, as my pump won't hold prime when it's shut off and there is air in the pump basket area when the pump is on.

I have noticed that when I put the pump basket lid back on, it's easier to turn all the way to the closed position than it used to be....less resistance, etc. The O-ring appears to have no damage, but is it possible that it would need to be replaced anyway?

Thanks,
Greg

poolbee, I put a coating of petroleum jelly on the o-ring and still have the issue. Should that have done the trick if lubing the o-ring was the issue, or is there another kind of lube (like what you used) that should work even if petroleum jelly didn't?

Thanks,
Greg

waterbear said:
Never use petroleum jelly on o rings. It makes them disintegrate! Only use a teflon or silicone based lube made for pool use.

DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!! :hammer: :hammer:

To check the o-ring, feel to see if it is flat on the sealing surface, also GENTLY stretch it and look for cracks on the surface - if you find either of these, it's time for a new o-ring.

You may also want to look at the Leak Detection article in Pool School 8)

Dang! I didn't realize that....I guess I should have, knowing that petroleum jelly is a petroleum product! From what I can remember, I think I've actually read in owner's manuals for all kinds of things that have rubber o-rings to lubricate them with vaseline!

Thanks for the posts....you've saved me a lot of future grief!

Anyway, I did find the source of my leak, and it's actually at a valve, so the pump lid o-ring is still OK. I'll get out there tomorrow and make sure to wipe any traces of the vaseline off of it!

Greg

rhythm said:
Dang! I didn't realize that....I guess I should have, knowing that petroleum jelly is a petroleum product! From what I can remember, I think I've actually read in owner's manuals for all kinds of things that have rubber o-rings to lubricate them with vaseline!

Thanks for the posts....you've saved me a lot of future grief!

Anyway, I did find the source of my leak, and it's actually at a valve, so the pump lid o-ring is still OK. I'll get out there tomorrow and make sure to wipe any traces of the vaseline off of it!

Greg
Petroleum jelly destroys rubber...same reason you can't use it on those other rubber items that are sold in drugstores!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.