Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Housing will not fill up with water

1. Back To Top    #1

Little Falls,NJ

Pump Housing will not fill up with water

Opened the pool and after 24 hours of having the pump running, decided to vacuum. After vacuuming, I tried to restart the pump to filter and problems arose:

My pump will not prime.
    I try to fill up the strainer housing with water, but it keeps going down. I tried to close either the main drain, skimmer or both to fill it up and close the lid as fast as I can. By that time 3/4 will remain. Once I turn on the pump, only half of the water remains and stays there. There is good suction on the skimmer and there is some water coming from the return ( no air bubbles. although not as strong as it shoild be). Can not find any air leak. I lubed the O ring on the lid and the drain plugs and unions just in case.

So I thought it might be the filter.
    Changed the Sand in the filter. Cleaned the Lateral assembly and the laterals. Found a hairline crack at the bottom of the lateral assembly. Not sure if that would cause this problem.

Pump is clean. Only installed 2 years ago as per previous house owner and sounds fine.

Also my pressure gauge has been on 3-4psi.

Any thoughts?
    In-ground Clayton-Lambert Plaster built 1965?
    Capacity: 20,400 Filter: Sand
    Pump: Hayward Max-Flo II
    1 skimmer & 1 return - Floating chlorinator - TFT-100 Test Kit on the way...currently using Taylor pH, Chlorine and TA test and Pool store test.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Fletcher, OK

Re: Pump Housing will not fill up with water

you can try a drain king on the suction side, maybe there is something stuck in the pipe G.T. Water Products 186 Drain King Unclog Hose Attachment: Home Improvement
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **