clean up method after 8 more inches of rain

SuzfromTexas

Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Apr 7, 2015
Houston, Texas
We missed the flooding NW of us yesterday in the Houston area - The Woodlands, Conroe, etc. Today we were hit though not to the extent of yesterday's floods. Ours came down quickly - we had about 8 inches of rain in the afternoon alone. So, again our street was a raging river with water up into the yards with our pool flowing over the coping (like April 18th, but today was over more quickly). Eventually the storms bugged out mostly - still sprinkling and lightening around.

The last time this happened I kept the pump running. My water was murky for several weeks although the FC, CC, and pH were fine. I ran my robot about every other day getting the dirt (or mud) out of the pool. I couldn't really see mud like on the bottom, but when I'd pull out the robot, there was lots of mud in the robot filters. A week ago, I cleaned the pump filter cartridges and was ashamed at how brown they were. I think it was probably because I had waited 9 months to do the first cleaning. :oops: But I'm also wondering if some of the mud in the filters was due to the April floods. Last weekend I felt like I had finally gotten all the whatever dirt/fine sand out of the pool since the robot was coming up fairly clean when I ran her two days in a row.

So now after our new 8" of rain, my pool is murky again. I decided to try a different method. I shut off the pump, so it wouldn't filter in the dirt/mud. About an hour ago, I checked the FC (would run the pump with some added bleach if the result was low), and it was a good solid 7. I didn't check anything else since I'm trying to avoid running the pump until I can run the robot a couple of times. I emptied out the skimmers and put in fresh skimmer socks (hair nets) and fished out as many pine needles as I could. I'm surprised there wasn't much mulch in the pool with either flood.

Tomorrow, I'll run the robot early and maybe a third time. Then I'll check all the chemicals and do whatever is needed.

Is this an ok plan? Or no matter what, should I be running the pump tonight? I'd rather not have to clean the filter again this soon. (though I think in a few days I will check the cartridges with fingers crossed)

Thanks,
Suz

Glad to hear y'all are ok Suz! It's been a crazy year here huh? My BF in Montgomery her house isn't in a flood zone, flooded yesterday and again today. They haven't been able to make it out yet, but planning on getting my 2 Godsons in the morning. Probably mom, dad & 2 dogs later this weekend. My subdivision roads and yards are flooded but not in houses. My pool didn't flood, was so close, but thankfully missed out. My water looks off but my numbers are fine. I'm going to bump my FC up tomorrow, Just in time for 45 people to show up for a Memorial Day pool party tomorrow evening.

Ugh why? Lol

Wendy, I'm so glad you are ok, but extremely sorry for your best friend and all the others up that way. Ya'll got hammered 2 days in a row. Your picture - I'm sure you were wondering if the rain would stop in time. Good luck with the party. For now the forecast looks good.

Thanks, pooldv! We've got a gorgeous blue sky out this morning. I'm on my way to get bleach and get going on the pool.
Suz

I can't believe yours flooded again :( it seems like you just got it cleaned up. The sunshine helped dry out a lot, but there's so much water coming from upstream. Scary. Hope your pool has a quick recovery!

Thanks Suz for pointing me to this thread. My pool is also cloudy after this last rain today. I added some bleach, about a half a jug, even though my FC was 7 to see if it would clear up. The pump is running, but should I let it run all night or turn it off? How long does it normally take bleach to circulate?

I like Suz's idea about running the robot to let it pick up the dirt first. I'm probably too late for that this time, but will try it the next time we have another gully washer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It could always have been worse, who remembers this one

swimming-pool-flood.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.