Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: clean up method after 8 more inches of rain

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

clean up method after 8 more inches of rain

We missed the flooding NW of us yesterday in the Houston area - The Woodlands, Conroe, etc. Today we were hit though not to the extent of yesterday's floods. Ours came down quickly - we had about 8 inches of rain in the afternoon alone. So, again our street was a raging river with water up into the yards with our pool flowing over the coping (like April 18th, but today was over more quickly). Eventually the storms bugged out mostly - still sprinkling and lightening around.

The last time this happened I kept the pump running. My water was murky for several weeks although the FC, CC, and pH were fine. I ran my robot about every other day getting the dirt (or mud) out of the pool. I couldn't really see mud like on the bottom, but when I'd pull out the robot, there was lots of mud in the robot filters. A week ago, I cleaned the pump filter cartridges and was ashamed at how brown they were. I think it was probably because I had waited 9 months to do the first cleaning. But I'm also wondering if some of the mud in the filters was due to the April floods. Last weekend I felt like I had finally gotten all the whatever dirt/fine sand out of the pool since the robot was coming up fairly clean when I ran her two days in a row.

So now after our new 8" of rain, my pool is murky again. I decided to try a different method. I shut off the pump, so it wouldn't filter in the dirt/mud. About an hour ago, I checked the FC (would run the pump with some added bleach if the result was low), and it was a good solid 7. I didn't check anything else since I'm trying to avoid running the pump until I can run the robot a couple of times. I emptied out the skimmers and put in fresh skimmer socks (hair nets) and fished out as many pine needles as I could. I'm surprised there wasn't much mulch in the pool with either flood.

Tomorrow, I'll run the robot early and maybe a third time. Then I'll check all the chemicals and do whatever is needed.

Is this an ok plan? Or no matter what, should I be running the pump tonight? I'd rather not have to clean the filter again this soon. (though I think in a few days I will check the cartridges with fingers crossed)

Thanks,
    Suz
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: clean up method after 8 more inches of rain

Everything is going to be okay ....

I wouldn't run the pump continuously unless I could watch the pressure gauge to ensure it doesn't get clogged is all.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Thanks, love the picture!
    Suz
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

Glad to hear y'all are ok Suz! It's been a crazy year here huh? My BF in Montgomery her house isn't in a flood zone, flooded yesterday and again today. They haven't been able to make it out yet, but planning on getting my 2 Godsons in the morning. Probably mom, dad & 2 dogs later this weekend. My subdivision roads and yards are flooded but not in houses. My pool didn't flood, was so close, but thankfully missed out. My water looks off but my numbers are fine. I'm going to bump my FC up tomorrow, Just in time for 45 people to show up for a Memorial Day pool party tomorrow evening.

Ugh why? Lol
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

5. Back To Top    #5

Here was the water in the back. It's never been this high. image.jpg
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

6. Back To Top    #6

Sounds like a good plan. Just keep a close eye on FC. Maybe pour some bleach in when you put the robot in.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Wendy, I'm so glad you are ok, but extremely sorry for your best friend and all the others up that way. Ya'll got hammered 2 days in a row. Your picture - I'm sure you were wondering if the rain would stop in time. Good luck with the party. For now the forecast looks good.

Thanks, pooldv! We've got a gorgeous blue sky out this morning. I'm on my way to get bleach and get going on the pool.
    Suz

8. Back To Top    #8

I can't believe yours flooded again it seems like you just got it cleaned up. The sunshine helped dry out a lot, but there's so much water coming from upstream. Scary. Hope your pool has a quick recovery!
    ~Wendy

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks Suz for pointing me to this thread. My pool is also cloudy after this last rain today. I added some bleach, about a half a jug, even though my FC was 7 to see if it would clear up. The pump is running, but should I let it run all night or turn it off? How long does it normally take bleach to circulate?

I like Suz's idea about running the robot to let it pick up the dirt first. I'm probably too late for that this time, but will try it the next time we have another gully washer.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

10. Back To Top    #10

How are you faring this week? Still nasty but safe here.
    ~Wendy

11. Back To Top    #11

It could always have been worse, who remembers this one

Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

12. Back To Top    #12

That's an awesome pic!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!