Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump working wont prime

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump working wont prime

My pool just opened for the season and the pump wouldn't work. I have never opened my pool myself. I got the pump working and it will not suck water into the basket regardless if I have it on main drain or skimmer. I can't recall if the main drain is the falve handle parallel or perpendicular although I've tried both. I've tried the auto clean and the skimmer as I said. I've had the returns to the jets as well.

Is there a plug or something in the heater or salt cell or filter that could not have been removed? Thanks everyone.
    16 X 32 Vinyl. Hayward aqua rite salt system, T -15 cell. Hayward H250 gas heater, Hayward 1HP superpump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump working wont prime

Lots of possibilities if you opened the pool yourself:
    - Gizmo/plugs removed from inside skimmer/drains
    - Pump basket lid O-ring intact and lubed?
    - Fill pump basket with water THEN close the lid back on to help
    - Water level on pool mid-way up poolside skimmer
    - Valves in open position (usually the low/flat side is "open"; handle end is closed)

In the end, you may want to post a picture of your equipment.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Lots of possibilities if you opened the pool yourself:
    - Gizmo/plugs removed from inside skimmer/drains
    - Pump basket lid O-ring intact and lubed?
    - Fill pump basket with water THEN close the lid back on to help
    - Water level on pool mid-way up poolside skimmer
    - Valves in open position (usually the low/flat side is "open"; handle end is closed)

In the end, you may want to post a picture of your equipment.
    The pool people opened it and stopped when the pump just hummed. I got the pump working myself by getting the shaft freed up.

Pool is full. Pump basket full of water. Jet return eyes in. Tried it with the pump basket lid closed the whole time.

Valves on vacuum hole and jet return. Switched main drain settings and felt the vaccuum hole in the side of the pool in both settings and no suction.

I'll try to post a pic.
    16 X 32 Vinyl. Hayward aqua rite salt system, T -15 cell. Hayward H250 gas heater, Hayward 1HP superpump.

4. Back To Top    #4

Okay here is a pic. The red handle is for main drain suction or regular. I've tried bothpoolsettings.jpg

5. Back To Top    #5

The pic is twisted so it's messing with my eyes (ha), and I can't quite make-out all the equipment. Is that the pump at the bottom by your left foot? If so, then suction should be coming from where it splits-off into the ground at the top of the pic by your right foot. I can't read the label, but it's showing "open" to the pipe going into the ground that has that tiny white cord wrapped around it. I'm guessing that's your filter housing at the bottom, but I can't tell what that is to the top left (white). SWG?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jonmar View Post
    Okay here is a pic. The red handle is for main drain suction or regular. I've tried bothpoolsettings.jpg
    We need some different angles. Is that red handle valve teed into the pipe or is it an optical illusion?

If it's teed, then somebody hooked up some kind of flow reversal system, it looks like. But at the moment, the skimmer is off and the cleaner is the suction side water source.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Don't know what I did but I got it. Tried three things at once so I can't tell