Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Cover / low chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Fort Wayne

Solar Cover / low chlorine

We recently put a solar cover on our inground pool, we've had to add bleach more often than prior to the cover, is this normal?
    My pool is 36 x 21 and it's the Deer Creek style (similar to kidney). It's an in-ground pool that we put in ourselves as a kit. It has a vinyl liner and we use Hayward equipment.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Solar Cover / low chlorine

Welcome to TFP!

That is opposite of normal. Usually a pool cover will lower FC consumption because of reduced exposure to the sun. I put one on a couple of weeks ago for the first time and my FC went up with my SWG on the same setting.

Unless your water temp went up and you are taking the cover off during the day.

Please add your state to your location, climate is important when we help you with your pool.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach