Neighbor Issues

I would definitely plant something to block his view.
In the meantime, an impact sprinkler set to water that side of the yard may dampen his enthusiasm.

046878562899lg.jpg

Wow, that's interesting. I thought the saying goes "good fences make good neighbors" but maybe the HOA also has regs against sitting in a chair by a fence staring into the neighbor's yard?

While I don't have the "creepy neighbor" issue, I do have a similar issue with one of their trees partially overhanging into our yard. The laws in most jurisdictions allow you to cut any tree branches that overhang into your yard - it would be the exception if a jurisdiction did not allow this, but worth checking. I have a neutral relationship with this neighbor - he's not my best friend but certainly is not a sworn enemy either. I have simply cut the offending branches that overhang into our yard - I'm not asking permission and he has never said anything. If he ever did, I would request that he hire someone to do it. If that didn't work, I would continue to cut any branches that broke the "imaginary plane" into my yard. If it escalated from there, then we would go through the legal system. I understand that leaves will blow onto your property from other nearby trees, but that is a temporary issue. However other people's trees should not cause undue and permanent problems to your house or property such as branches over hanging your roof (thereby creating a rodent superhighway or brushing against your roof), invasive root systems that could threaten your foundation or your pool's structure, or constant heavy shading that results in permanent bare patches in your yard that prevents grass and other plants from growing and may lead to soil erosion.

To anyone else reading this that is thinking of planting a tree...If you live on a typical suburban (small) lot and you are thinking of planting a large tree, don't plant it near the property line. Get a tree with a mature size that complements - not overwhelms - your lot. That's the best way to avoid problems like this in the first place. If privacy screening is needed and a fence is not an option, there are several medium size shrubs that can be planted near or along the property line that should fit the bill. A couple of examples are Italian Cypress (columnar) or Arborvitae (more of a pyramidal shape). Both are evergreen and "clean" in that they don't shed leaves or other debris.

Although it might be a pain to maintain, what if you added a "pool security fence" around the pool itself. Since the pool elevation is significantly higher than the back of your lot it would go a long way to block some of the view. Or maybe a lattice wall with some vines or flowers along the back edge with a water feature would likely not need approval from the HOA. Tho Naperville might have a say anyway ;)

Fence Gate Design @ Sisson Landscapes

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Although it might be a pain to maintain, what if you added a "pool security fence" around the pool itself. Since the pool elevation is significantly higher than the back of your lot it would go a long way to block some of the view. Or maybe a lattice wall with some vines or flowers along the back edge with a water feature would likely not need approval from the HOA. Tho Naperville might have a say anyway ;)

Fence Gate Design @ Sisson Landscapes
The sprinkler is cheaper. :twisted:

For your protection please Never just assume anything as far as what can be done, check all ordinances, and if you are not sure of their interpretation have a professional interpret them for you. The cost to replace a tree that has died as a result of an improperly amputated limb/ radical pruning will blow your mind and I am not exaggerating.

Most likely you have the right the cut the branches that overhang the plane, if removing those branches will not kill the tree and a professional decides that. Do Not Cut/ Prune before you have all of your bases covered, as you may not be able to recover financially from taking the bull by the horns/ tree by the limb if the tree dies.

You need to check ordinances and I would imagine the HOA also has specific verbiage in regards to procedures and there are probably two sets of rules for trees planted and wild trees (trees that were there before the people were).

This is what I know as far as tree stuff blowing, be it leaves, debris, small little branches ~ nuisance tree debris that comes into your yard and clogs gutters, walkways, or swimming pool in this instance are considered just that, a nuisance, more specifically your nuisance. Even if the tree in which they fall from is on an adjoining lot it's an act of nature and you are responsible for cleaning up after mother nature. Mother Nature does not observe property lines as it relates to nuisance debris. Damage is another story but when there is damage it will have to be proven that there was neglect on the tree owner and their neglect caused your damage. Now your ordinances could be different as well as HOA. So that's something to look into as well. HOA may specifically address nuisance debris and be more strict, and that may fall in your favor.

It's worth a check for sure.

I think Naperville's tree ordinance is a 6 - 1 replacement ratio for a tree larger than 6" diameter. My experience was business, but I think the ordinance applied to residential as well - at least when they are informed. Meaning that death to tree from pruning would require planting 6 approved tree's on your or your neighbors property if he agreed.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I talked to a tree company. They said Illinois has "Air Rights" and I am free to trim that tree within his permission, or informing him that I am doing it. It just must be done in a way that the tree is not harmed. So, this company will be doing the trimming for me.

Now you just need to plant some large arborvitae or large viburnum (Autumn Jazz are nice) so Creeper Guy can't see into your yard. We had that same type of guy living next door and they just moved thank goodness!

Thought of this thread out of the blue the other day. One of those random misfiring of a synapsis. Best course of action is to invite the IMPA (International Marco Polo Association) to hold this years qualifying rounds and n your backyard. Oh, forgot to mention, this would be for the girls 8 - 9 division. House would be on the market in a week. Moo hahahaha

I just saw this thread. I'm friendly with my nieghbors but they have a horror tree that continually rains down small leaves from Spring until Fall. It's a Siberian Elm - an invasive species here on Long Island. It also has large fragile branch networks that frequently break off. About 5 years ago, after Hurricane Irene, one giant branch broke off and fell through my yard. It tore the power line off our house and deposited it in the pool (very scary!). Of course, since it was right after a storm, no one was swimming thank god. Here 's the catch - where we live the onus for repair was on me not the neighbor. In fact, if I cut his tree and killed it, I would owe triple damages. I am allowed to trim to the property line but cannot hurt the tree. I had to move the power line to the opposite side of my house ( I did it for safety and peace of mind) but at my cost. Luckily, insurance covered the $5,000 bill. I have offered to pay to take down his dangerous tree but "they like the shade". I did pay $1000 to trim the tree back and paid another $2000 to remove a giant long-needled pine tree that overhang my pool from the other neighbor's yard. The other neighbor was more sympathtic since he has a pool. That tree was good for at least 10 contractor bags of needles every Spring, so I'm happy that one is at least gone. But the bottom line is you really can't do much other than keep your skimmer (s) clean. I also did not find the pool skim to be great and don't use it anymore. I do use the pool shark to supplement my aquabot turbo and that works well for quick spot cleaning. Leyland Cypress is a great fast growing tree (2 feet a year) but you have to stay after it with pruning since it can grow to 60 feet if left alone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.