Foam when adding chlorine

May 11, 2016
North Oaks
I am getting a very fine foam forming about a minute after I add either liquid or powered chlorine. The foam disapates after about an hour. Water is clear and there are no visible organics on the bottom.

Test kit readings are as follows:
FC 8
CC 2
TC 10
pH 7.2
TA 260
CH 250
CYA 40

May not be an issue but pool store said it was due to some imbalance and every time they prescribe something different. Now that I have switched to TFPC i hope to eliminate the 'over - prescribing'

Any ideas on the cause of the foaming and is this typical?

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Foaming is not rare, but not typical either. If these readings are from your own test kit (TF-100 or Taylor K-2006), Then I'd say something is in the water causing that increased CC reading of 2. I'm assuming some pool store snake oils were added in the past huh? It could be the bleach is reacting to that stuff. Your liquid chlorine hopefully is just plan regular bleach from the grocery store or the pool store liquid shock (same thing) right. Plain Sodium Hypochlorite. No scented or splashless stuff? With that CC reading, I would encourage you to SLAM (link below), raising your FC to 16 until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. If you're not convinced a SLAM is in the cards yet, at least do an overnight (OCLT) test to confirm FC loss over 1 ppm.

My guess is one of the many wallet-draining snake oils the pool store sold you is reacting with the chlorine. Cheap algaecides will foam, for sure.

The other option is that you bought splashless bleach, which is pretty much like adding Mister Bubble to the pool.

We have been using liquid 12.5% NaOCl pool shock and Clorox Brand Shock Plus (sodium dichlor 58.2%). For the OCLT, should the pump by on or off overnight?
Generally on. The OCLT is usually the tail end of a SLAM, and that has the pump on all night. Do you really want to get up an hour earlier to start the pump so it has an hour to mix well, all before the sun comes up?

Good point, need to sleep in a bit tomorrow!

Also, here's a little of the cash we have deposited in the quest for clarity over the past 4 weeks:
- 75 gals shock
- 24 pounds powdered dichlor
- 2 quarts liquid floc agent
- 1 gallons sized container Aluminum Sulfate
- 2 quarts phosphate remover

Oh, and a new pump motor to boot!

Along with 50 pounds of de in back flushing.

Pool was fairly clear about a week ago. Now just trying solve the foaming.

Good point, need to sleep in a bit tomorrow!

Also, here's a little of the cash we have deposited in the quest for clarity over the past 4 weeks:
- 75 gals shock
- 24 pounds powdered dichlor
- 2 quarts liquid floc agent
- 1 gallons sized container Aluminum Sulfate
- 2 quarts phosphate remover

Oh, and a new pump motor to boot!

Along with 50 pounds of de in back flushing.

Pool was fairly clear about a week ago. Now just trying solve the foaming.
Talk about Wheel of Fortune! How many times did you get to spin?

attachment.php

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wish I would have found this site $600 ago!
I understand. So, on you go from here and never look back. Obviously, I have a dog in the fight, but getting that TF-100 kit arms you with the tool you need to have a pristine pool and never visit the pool store again.

The science in the back of what we do is rock solid and makes perfect common sense. If anything we suggest doesn't make sense you should post up your questions.

Synopsizing all the good advice above, some of the unneeded stuff that went in your pool is causing the foaming......correct chlorine levels will get rid of it....usually a few days but hard to tell. Your SLAM will most likely take care of all of it and you're in for a trouble free summer

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Also just a quick check........you are not using a scented bleach by accident? I accidentally purchased some and didn't realize until I poured it in and it foamed. I immediately stopped pouring and checked the bottle. Oops.

Here's my results of the OCLT
last night: FC=19, CC=1
this morning: 16, CC=1

CYA is 60-70 as best I can tell, once in a while I get readings of 90. Wondering if I am doing this correctly -- TF100 kit directions say to add pool water to bottom of label and then top off with R0013, mix, wait 30 secs and then mix again. Online instructions say to mix for 30 sec. Not sure if this matters. Wondering if I need to wait a bit after shaking to let the air out of the solution.

pool is crystal clear - I don't recall ever (over past several years) seeing it this clear! It it has been crystal clear for the past 2-3 days.

Just added another 3 gals of 12.5% liquid pool shock to bump the FC up to 28-29. (BTW - FleetFarm has this on sale now for $2.50/gal)

I am a little surprised that the CC is staying at 1 and did not drop over the past two OCLT test.

Don't shake the CYA test (this needs to be changed in the directions) Just invert it gently to mix. Make sure you pour it into the tube with your back to full sun, waist high with quick glances (don't stare at it)

CC is eliminated by sunlight (UV) so I wouldn't expect it to disappear overnight.

You are doing a great job! Love that you are seeing how great TFP is with the clearer pool! THAT is what it is all about. Just wait until you see it when we are done! It should be even better! :sun:

CYA test-Pour to the first line, GLANCE in and look away, GLANCE in once again. If you see the dot pour to the next line. Keep doing this until you do not see the dot when you GLANCE in. If you stare you will see the dot LOL

If you want to swim you can IF the FC is just a tad under your SLAM level for you CYA. Just push it back up when you get out.

Kim:cat:

Met all three requirements of the OCLT test this morning: cc=.5, FC less than 1 ppm drop overnight and crystal clear. Pressure in DE filter was stable overnight at about 25 - held tha way for the previous 24 hrs.

This morning's readings were FC=10.5, CC=.5

Covered pool with solar cover this morning with pump running.

Tonight's readings:
FC=4, CC=.5, p)=7.2, TA=230, CYA=30
Filter pressure is now 35

Seems like a large and fast drop in the FC level. Only possibility I can think of is that the solar cover introduced some bio-load after being rolled up all winter.

Ideas and suggestions?

Met all three requirements of the OCLT test this morning: cc=.5, FC less than 1 ppm drop overnight and crystal clear. Pressure in DE filter was stable overnight at about 25 - held tha way for the previous 24 hrs.

This morning's readings were FC=10.5, CC=.5

Covered pool with solar cover this morning with pump running.

Tonight's readings:
FC=4, CC=.5, p)=7.2, TA=230, CYA=30
Filter pressure is now 35

Seems like a large and fast drop in the FC level. Only possibility I can think of is that the solar cover introduced some bio-load after being rolled up all winter.

Ideas and suggestions?
I think you may be onto something with that. You passed the overnight test so it isn;t something in the pool. And it can't be blamed on the sun since it was covered. That leaves... the cover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.