Booster Pump Issue

Feb 4, 2009
Just had an issue pop-up with my booster pump for my polaris cleaner. Tried the search and couldn't find anything.

The pump won't engage, sounds like it is seized. When I flip the power, loud humming noise comes on, booster pump starts to heat up, but it is not turning and nothing is getting boosted.

This was working yesterday, kinda odd.

Pump Details -

Century Pool and Spa
A.O. Smith 3/4 hp

Any thoughts on this? Do I need to replace?

Thanks,

Jeff

You can try manually turning the shaft of the motor while it is humming. Be careful because if it works it will start spinning quickly. Let us know if that works, and if so, whether or not it starts up on its own the next time.

How long have you had it? My first pump lasted one season and PB replaced under warranty. Not totally convinced that it wasn't him that was flipping breakers and left the booster on after shutting down the main pump. You can not run that pump dry, it will burn it up!

I have closed my own pool now since that incident. Closing was included in the price of the build, so I let him do it. Never again!

Shut everything off and see if you can clean the impeller. Doesn't take much to jam up.

If it's under 1 year old the warranty should still be good assuming you bought it from a dealer. Try replacing the starting capacitor 1st, but more than likely you'll need a new motor. You can replace the bearings, but that could be more trouble than what it's worth.

In most cases, it may cheaper to buy a whole new pump.

Thanks to everyone. I've tried turning the shaft while it hums, which only lasts about 30 secs before that stops, and no luck. I unscrewed the capacitor (I think that is what it is) off the top and the connections look fine. Also looked at the connections in the back and they seem fine.

No idea how old the pump is, came with the house we bought last year. It may be covered under AHS warranty, can't remember if we had the pool added to it or not, will call tomorrow.

Oh well, was hoping it was something I could easily fix.

So if I have read some other threads correctly I think I have two options -

1. Buy a new motor, and place in the housing
2. Buy a new pump (motor/housing)

Is that right? Any opinions on what is best?

Jeff

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.