Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool opening surprise--is this a new kind of red algae?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool opening surprise--is this a new kind of red algae?

Been opening my pool for years with knowledge from this site, so green slime or water doesn't phase me.
    But what in the heck is this? Do I just continue with my normal pool opening procedure? It continues around the water edge along with the normal green algae...

Red alagae at pool opening.jpg
    TF-100 Test Kit, 28,000 gallon IG , 3M quartz plaster '09, 48 sq ft DE filter, Heat Siphon SX5HP heat pump '09, Polaris 360 '10, Protect-A-Child safety fence

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool opening surprise--is this a new kind of red algae?

Can you scoop it up and feel it? It looks like it might be dust off the coping.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

No, it's definitely growing. It's all around the scum line of the pool also. Bricks are not new, although the stuff is brick colored.
    I just need to know if I should use a higher SLAM number if it's some sort of weird algae.
    TF-100 Test Kit, 28,000 gallon IG , 3M quartz plaster '09, 48 sq ft DE filter, Heat Siphon SX5HP heat pump '09, Polaris 360 '10, Protect-A-Child safety fence

4. Back To Top    #4

I used to get red algae in my saltwater reef tanks sometimes. I would start with a regular SLAM. If you pass the 3 criteria amd it is still present then try mustard shock 24 hour treatment.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, in process of SLAMing. Balanced pH to 7.2, then Alkalinity to 110. Brought chlorine to 14 just in case it's a harder to kill algae than green. Have backwashed twice. Brushed twice. Chlorine dropped to 13 in 3 hours.
    Aaaand, the red scum is now turned black. Fading, but really hard to scrub off of the waterline.

Do I treat it as black algae now that it has changed from brick red to black? Green water changing to blue.