Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair millivolt heater pilot light will not stay lit

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair millivolt heater pilot light will not stay lit

Hi all,

I'm a newbie pool owner, I am having issues with my Pentair minimax plus natural gas 250M millivolt heater's pilot light staying on. I can light the pilot light, the voltage reading from the thermopile is approx 570 Mv (keeping the pilot jammed open...I can test the connectors at the gas valve where it drops to ~400Mv). One other issue is that the fusable link looks like its fried.

My first question is...do I need a new fusable link before the gas valve will open and the burners come on? I am not planning on running w/o the fusable link, just trying to determine if the issue is with the fusable link or my gas valve is bad (which is what the gas guy told me).

thanks for any and all responses.

D
    16X36 Kidney Shaped IG Vinyl Pool, Pentair Minimax NG 250 Btu millivolt heater, Single speed 3/4 horsepower Sta-Rite pump, Sand Filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Re: Pentair millivolt heater pilot light will not stay lit

This is not a fix but you could jumper a wire around fusible link to see if it fires. Usually a fried fusible link is a sign of flame rollout, so be careful where you stand

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Re: Pentair millivolt heater pilot light will not stay lit

since you were able to measure the voltage, switch the meter to OHMs and check the link. If it is good it will rad the same as the meter shows when you touch the probes together
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump