Small, above ground pool convert to salt water?

eanik

Apr 25, 2016
Florida
My small 10'x30" Intex Steel framed pool was recently filled and started up about 2 weeks ago. I finally have gotten the hang of the chemicals but now my daughter is in the process of an official diagnosis of the skin disease Vitiligo that is said to worsen by pools chlorinated with bleach.

Would anyone like to shed some light and tips on how to 1. if it's possible to convert it and 2. how to?

Thank you kindly!!

Has she been using the pool without problems? If so then there is no reason to change anything. Also, TFP pools are considerably less harsh than most other chlorine managed pools, many people that don't do well in other pools seem to have far less problems in a TFP pool.

Finally, salt pools are great if you want to get an SWG, but they are still chlorine pools. If someone has issues with a TFP pool chlorinated with bleach then they will have the same issues with a TFP pool chlorinated with an SWG. If she is having problems with the pool and you are managing it within TFP parameters then you might have to look in to something like Baquacil. I would expend all of your chlorine options first before considering that, but in cases of true chlorine sensitivity it is an option.

Thank you for your response and advice! I did not realize that both types of pools were that equal.
I appologize but please elaborate, TFP vs other chlorine managed pools? Is it by using the TFP calculator and specific solicited advice? I have been thankful for the help here and value it more if it helps with my daughter's condition.

Conversion to SWG on an intex is probably the easiest one there is. Dump the required amount of salt into the pool, unscrew a fitting and insert the SWG between the two ends. Plug it in and turn it on. Hardest part is carrying the salt in from the car.

A saltwater pool is a chlorine pool. Instead of chlorine bleach being created at a huge plant somewhere and then bottled and shipped, it's created onsite in the SWG using exactly the same process on a much smaller scale.

You may find that a certain pH is more irritating than another and you can control that yourself. And if you use our methods, you won't have that smelly irritating chlorine smell you associate with public pools and water parks.

Mostly by TFP pool I mean running your pool by using the FC/CYA ratio chart to determine your chlorine level and avoiding unnecessary chemicals in the pool that could potentially have negative effects on comfort. Some algaecides for instance use ammonia which will increase the CC level with can be relatively unpleasant even if you don't have increased sensitivity. By following the FC/CYA chart you run a relatively low active chlorine level (CYA heavily buffers chlorine strength) but also keeping enough chlorine to oxidize the irritating CC and keep algae at bay without using other chemicals. Just as an example, I have been asked if I have a chlorine-free pool before even though my FC level is typically near 6.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.