P.s.i after solar installation.

Sep 11, 2013
Cocoa, fl
ok. I just installed 450 sq.ft of solar panels by heliocoil 10 panels.

Before solar: filter read 12 psi with new filter.

After solar: 21 psi.

So after adding solar I gained 9 psi and the water return to the pool seems a little slower or should I say less pressure.

Question is this too much psi? What is normal for psi after installing solar and what psi is dangerous.

I'm running a Hayward super2. 1.5 hp

You installed the panels in parallel and not series correct?

9 PSI would be a little high for 450 sq-ft if they were installed in parallel.

Assuming the panels were installed correctly, you can mitigate the pressure rise by bypassing some water around solar.

Having the excess pressure could possibly cause a leak but it is best to consult the manufacturer recommendations.

You didn't answer the question. Did you install them parallel or in series. Parallel would be if when the water gets to the panels they split off running through each panel and then collect back together again to drain back to the pool. In series would be the water travels through the first panel then to the next then to the next and so on and so on.

skeeter

You didn't answer the question. Did you install them parallel or in series. Parallel would be if when the water gets to the panels they split off running through each panel and then collect back together again to drain back to the pool. In series would be the water travels through the first panel then to the next then to the next and so on and so on.

skeeter

Parallel

In that case are they being fed from one lower corner to the opposite upper corner, and are they slightly tilted (outlet side of each panel 1/2 to 1 inch higher than inlet side) so air is not trapped in the panels?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
IMHO 9 PSI is way to high for the that setup and those panels. 10 panels in parallel with 2" pipe should have very little pressure rise and 3-4 PSI would be more reasonable. If it were me, I would try to figure out why the pressure rise is so high. But if you don't want to do that, just bypass some of the water so the pressure rise is 3-4 PSI.

Just because it was installed by a "professional" does not mean it was installed right.

+1

Also, if you have the panels installed on two or more roofs, the panels may be in parallel for each set but the sets may be in series which would explain the higher head loss.

IMHO 9 PSI is way to high for the that setup and those panels. 10 panels in parallel with 2" pipe should have very little pressure rise and 3-4 PSI would be more reasonable. If it were me, I would try to figure out why the pressure rise is so high. But if you don't want to do that, just bypass some of the water so the pressure rise is 3-4 PSI.

I do know that each panel holds 2 gallons of water so that's 20 gallons in the panels plus whatever the 2 two inch pipes hold.

It is set up on two sides of the roof. With 7 panels on one side and 3 on the other side. So if this explains the rise is it a problem?

- - - Updated - - -

+1

Also, if you have the panels installed on two or more roofs, the panels may be in parallel for each set but the sets may be in series which would explain the higher head loss.

It is set up on two sides of the roof. With 7 panels on one side and 3 on the other side. So if this explains the rise is it a problem?

It could if the installer installed each panel set in series instead of parallel. Does the output of the first panel set feed the input of the second set? OR does the supply line split and feed each panel separately and then their outputs are combined and sent back to the equipment pad?

It could if the installer installed each panel set in series instead of parallel. Does the output of the first panel set feed the input of the second set? OR does the supply line split and feed each panel separately and then their outputs are combined and sent back to the equipment pad?

Input line feeds the first set of panels and then it splits off to the second set. Then first set outputs into the second panels output then comes down

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.