Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: P.s.i after solar installation.

1. Back To Top    #1

P.s.i after solar installation.

ok. I just installed 450 sq.ft of solar panels by heliocoil 10 panels.

Before solar: filter read 12 psi with new filter.

After solar: 21 psi.

So after adding solar I gained 9 psi and the water return to the pool seems a little slower or should I say less pressure.

Question is this too much psi? What is normal for psi after installing solar and what psi is dangerous.

I'm running a Hayward super2. 1.5 hp
    Thanks Todd.
    15,000 gal. In ground, sand textured with beach area, spa located in beach area with spillover equal to pool level.Rock waterfall with 4 foot drop.Hayward goldline aquaplus automation all wireless remote.T 15 cell,Propane heater,Super 2 for pool/spa,Super 2 for waterfall.Cartridge filter and solar panels.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: P.s.i after solar installation.

It depends how high above ground level are the solar panels?
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    It depends how high above ground level are the solar panels?
    I would say 12 to 15 feet
    Thanks Todd.
    15,000 gal. In ground, sand textured with beach area, spa located in beach area with spillover equal to pool level.Rock waterfall with 4 foot drop.Hayward goldline aquaplus automation all wireless remote.T 15 cell,Propane heater,Super 2 for pool/spa,Super 2 for waterfall.Cartridge filter and solar panels.

4. Back To Top    #4

You installed the panels in parallel and not series correct?

9 PSI would be a little high for 450 sq-ft if they were installed in parallel.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    You installed the panels in parallel and not series correct?

9 PSI would be a little high for 450 sq-ft if they were installed in parallel.
    Do I need to worry about anything?
    Thanks Todd.

6. Back To Top    #6

Assuming the panels were installed correctly, you can mitigate the pressure rise by bypassing some water around solar.

Having the excess pressure could possibly cause a leak but it is best to consult the manufacturer recommendations.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

You didn't answer the question. Did you install them parallel or in series. Parallel would be if when the water gets to the panels they split off running through each panel and then collect back together again to drain back to the pool. In series would be the water travels through the first panel then to the next then to the next and so on and so on.

skeeter
    47 yr old(1977) 18,000gal Kidney shaped 38ft long plaster Pool with built-in Spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS3050 Pump, Pentair 48sf DE filter, Raypack RP2100 gas heater. HTH 5-way test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by skeeter_ca View Post
    You didn't answer the question. Did you install them parallel or in series. Parallel would be if when the water gets to the panels they split off running through each panel and then collect back together again to drain back to the pool. In series would be the water travels through the first panel then to the next then to the next and so on and so on.

skeeter
    Parallel
    Thanks Todd.

9. Back To Top    #9

In that case are they being fed from one lower corner to the opposite upper corner, and are they slightly tilted (outlet side of each panel 1/2 to 1 inch higher than inlet side) so air is not trapped in the panels?
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter

10. Back To Top    #10

Also, what size pipe did you use to feed the panels?
    Mark

11. Back To Top    #11

It was professionally installed and two inch pipe.

My main question is how much filter pressure is too high?
    Thanks Todd.

12. Back To Top    #12

IMHO 9 PSI is way to high for the that setup and those panels. 10 panels in parallel with 2" pipe should have very little pressure rise and 3-4 PSI would be more reasonable. If it were me, I would try to figure out why the pressure rise is so high. But if you don't want to do that, just bypass some of the water so the pressure rise is 3-4 PSI.
    Mark

13. Back To Top    #13

Just because it was installed by a "professional" does not mean it was installed right.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    Just because it was installed by a "professional" does not mean it was installed right.
    +1

Also, if you have the panels installed on two or more roofs, the panels may be in parallel for each set but the sets may be in series which would explain the higher head loss.
    Mark

15. Back To Top    #15

IMHO 9 PSI is way to high for the that setup and those panels. 10 panels in parallel with 2" pipe should have very little pressure rise and 3-4 PSI would be more reasonable. If it were me, I would try to figure out why the pressure rise is so high. But if you don't want to do that, just bypass some of the water so the pressure rise is 3-4 PSI.
    I do know that each panel holds 2 gallons of water so that's 20 gallons in the panels plus whatever the 2 two inch pipes hold.
    Thanks Todd.

16. Back To Top    #16

I don't follow. Volume of water does not affect PSI.
    Mark

17. Back To Top    #17

It is set up on two sides of the roof. With 7 panels on one side and 3 on the other side. So if this explains the rise is it a problem?

- - - Updated - - -

+1

Also, if you have the panels installed on two or more roofs, the panels may be in parallel for each set but the sets may be in series which would explain the higher head loss.

It is set up on two sides of the roof. With 7 panels on one side and 3 on the other side. So if this explains the rise is it a problem?
    Thanks Todd.

18. Back To Top    #18

It could if the installer installed each panel set in series instead of parallel. Does the output of the first panel set feed the input of the second set? OR does the supply line split and feed each panel separately and then their outputs are combined and sent back to the equipment pad?
    Mark

19. Back To Top    #19

It could if the installer installed each panel set in series instead of parallel. Does the output of the first panel set feed the input of the second set? OR does the supply line split and feed each panel separately and then their outputs are combined and sent back to the equipment pad?
    Input line feeds the first set of panels and then it splits off to the second set. Then first set outputs into the second panels output then comes down
    Thanks Todd.

20. Back To Top    #20

So I guess that is in serries. Right?
    Thanks Todd.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast