Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wet Suit in the Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Wet Suit in the Pool

Was just wondering if anyone had ever extended their pool season by simply using a wetsuit instead of going through the cost and headache of heating your pool?

The wife and I swim laps frequently for exercise(rectangular pool) so this may apply more to us than someone who wants their kiddos to still enjoy the pool(our kids our grown up and we have several grand kiddos now.)

Never owned a wetsuit, so just wanted to get any thoughts from someone who does. Thanks so much.
    16x32 rectangular, 19,000 gal, gunite, quartzscapes plaster, Hayward Tristar 2 speed 1.5hp pump, 31" Hayward Pro Series sand filter, TF-100 test kit, BBB method rocks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wet Suit in the Pool

Ditto on this post! We're not far from you & our water is in the low 80's. My stubborn son will swim, but it's still a bit on the chilly side for me.
    16,661 gal IG PebbleTec w/ Spa; 60 ft2 Jandy DE filter, 2 HP Jandy Variable Speed pump; 2 skimmer; 400K BTU Jandy heater; Polaris Sport; opened 9/15/14; TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Back in 1993-2000 when I had my previous pool in SW FL I used a short not full wetsuit to extend the season.

It worked for me then but I was younger then!

I still have the wetsuit in good condition and I will try it out when my new pool is finished and weather gets cooler. From the speed they are working it might be September before they finally finish.
    My 2016 Build 14'x19'x35' IG Gunite 15K Gal. Roman, 4'-5' deep, 6 returns, 3 sheers
    4 deck jets, 2 Pentair XF22005 Pumps, Clean&Clear 200 Cartridge Filter, Brick Coping
    2 Pentair 5g 12v LED Pool Lights, 1 Pentair 12v Globrite LED in step area, 2 Bubblers
    Inline Chlorinator - SWG later, WetEdge Mediterranean Pebble, Intermatic MultiWave
    43'x33' Screened Paver Deck&15'x30' Lanai, Doheny Discovery (S200) Robot, TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Swimming on the surface with a wetsuit is not a particularly fun thing to do, and gets worse the thicker the wetsuit is. They work ok for things like scuba diving because the swimming nearly exclusively with the legs usually using long slow kicks.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Isaac. Good to know.