Taylor K-2006c inaccuracy?

I recently purchased the Taylor K-2006C test kit and my FC and CC readings differ greatly from test strips and my local pool store. Taylor says i have 1ppm FC and 0ppm cc when the pool store and test strips tell me the opposite. I am sure i am conducting the tests correctly after reading directions and watching videos. Has anyone else had similar issues? Is there any way to verify the chemicals in the test?

I recently purchased the Taylor K-2006C test kit and my FC and CC readings differ greatly from test strips and my local pool store. Taylor says i have 1ppm FC and 0ppm cc when the pool store and test strips tell me the opposite. I am sure i am conducting the tests correctly after reading directions and watching videos. Has anyone else had similar issues? Is there any way to verify the chemicals in the test?

That is exactly why you use your own test...ignore all the others

We can all but guarantee you the K-2006 will be far more accurate than any test strip or pool store. Trust your kit. But since you got the K-2006, it may have come with the 25ml FC sample instruction. Try this one next time: 10 ml sample, ONE heaping scoop of powder, then count drops until clear. Take that number and divide by 2.

Example: drop count of 14 = FC of 7.

The only concern may be the storage condition and age of your K-2006 test kit, does yours have expiration dates printed on the bottles, if not it was packaged before January 2015 when Taylor started printing expiration dates, not just lot numbers on their products. In addition to this has it ever been stored in a non-climate controlled area where it may have been exposed to freezing conditions or extreme heath?

The kits has been stored in my garage for the week I've had it. Unsure of how it was stored by the seller on amazon. It's expiration is 3/17 and batch is D4119. Waiting on a return call from Taylor. Typically I'd just trust the test and may end up doing so but it bothers me that both the strip and the pool stores test were near exact with a 0 FC reading and Taylor tells me I'm at about 1. Thanks for the suggestions. This is my first post and within minutes I've had helpful responses. You guys are great.

Bojo let me tell you a story. Pull up a chair and here is some ::epds::

One day a couple bought a foreclosed house with an above ground pool. It had sat for 6 months with nothing done to it. LOTS of leaves and stuff in the water. This couple did NOT want a pool so let it sit for another 3 months while they rehabbed the house.

Well, the inside of the house got cleaned, repainted, ect. They then moved into the house. They thought since there was this big pool with a deck around it might as well see what they could do with it. Went to the pool store and told them "we know nothing about taking care of a pool". Spent LOTS of $$ that did nothing :( The female of the couple got tired of spending the $$ so she drained most of the water out and scooped and scooped and scooped (well you get the picture). Once all of the stuff was scooped up she added water to the pool and took the pretty, clear water to the pool store where she bought LOTS more stuff to keep the water pretty and clear.

A year goes by and the pretty pool (who the couple's male person fell in love with having) is getting harder and harder to keep clean and clear. Green stuff started growing on the sides. Back down to the pool store for more $tuff. 6 more moths and things went from bad to worst :(

One day the female is brushing the pool AGAIN (she HATED that pool) when she saw a crack in the bottom of the liner and ran her foot over it.......:shock: that caused the WHOLE bottom to tear apart and ALL of the water went rushing out almost taking her with it!!!

The couple took down and sold the rest of the pool. After a while the male said he wanted a new pool. She said sure IF he could find a way to take care of with OUT using the pool store. Well he found TFP! She bought a test kit BEFORE she let him order the pool to make sure she could do the tests. Turned out they were easy and fun to do.

Now look at the female! She is a MOD on TFP! Funny how things work out! :rolleyes:

I told that story to let you know the P$ does not care about you or your pool. All they want is your wallet. TFP DOES care about you and your pool AND all we want is smile and thanks!

Please throw the "guess" strips away and do not go back in the P$ except to buy fun toy for the pool!

Kim:cat: (who LOVES her pool now!)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree with the others. Trust your numbers and ignore the others.

First, guess strip testing is a joke. I don't even consider,that a valid test.

The pool stores, well I have taken the same water sample to multiple stores one after the other and got multiple different answers.....

The only other possibility is that the sample bottle you used to take the sample to the store is contaminated. I remember one member who discovered his sample bottle had an "issue". While he did his own testing as we recomend, some days he would,let the water sit on the countertop for a while getting ready to test and found that if the water sat for a while (I can't remember the time frame) his FC whet away and and he had CC develop. After cleaning and disinfection of the sample bottle this anomaly went away.

You guys are awesome. I just picked up everything I needed minus stabilizer at Walmart and it only cost me 20 bucks! It would've cost 100 at the pool place for sure. I feel like I've been robbed up until now. Until I found you guys and this forum I looked at the pool like a big hole i threw money in and kept it purely for my girl and her daughter, but now I'm excited to have it! Hahaha thanks!

Last edited:
Why no stabilized at Walmart? They sell it as does Lowes and Home Depot.

I am glad I was able to make you laugh! I was just in the pool today after mowing and it was AWESOME! Nothing to do but jump in and enjoy! ahhhhhhhhh so nice!

Kim:cat:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.