Started SLAM on Swamp Thing

Original Post:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/116233-New-to-pools-Brown-pool-SLAMming-soon-(updated-s)

My last set of #'s BEFORE SLAM.
FC 0
CC 0
PH 7.2 Base demand 1 drop
TA 80
CH 150
CYA <30

Early this morning I added 4oz. of sodium carbonate and 3oz. of stabilizer. Ran pump and filter all morning.
Finally started my SLAM around 12:30 this afternoon. Went in heavy with 128oz. of 10% liquid chlorine.
Almost immediately pool went from brown/green to cloudy green. (Made the mosquito larvae standout like a soar thumb) :eek: Visibility is maybe 1-1.5' out of 4'.
Checked FC & CC in approx. 2 hrs and...
FC 1
CC 1
Added approx. 75oz of 10% to get FC back up to 12ppm.
Will backwash this evening and continue to run filter. Still some small leaf debris on bottom when brushing. Will continue to brush and skim often.

Good thing I got started on this today. It's really sunny and hot out. Algae would have surely been even worse tomorrow.

20160527_154235_zpsxjkjctdj[1].jpg

Re: Started SLAM on Swamp Thing (Looking a lot less swampy!!)

6:50pm (4 hours after SLAM start)
FC 5.5
CC 1.5
CYA >30 (wondering if 3oz. dry CA I added this morning has dissolved yet? Was hoping to be at 30)

Added more chlorine to get it back over 12ppm. Will backwash filter tonight and continue to run pump overnight.
Guess I'll check CYA again in the AM and see if I need to add more CA.

Color is looking less green but very cloudy. Visibility remains at 1-1.5'

5/28 6am
FC 9
CC 1.5
Sorry pooldv,I backwashed this morning. Circulation was pretty low.
Will check CYA later this morning when I have more time. Might add some CA in a sock to skimmer basket if it's still low.
Water is getting better but still very cloudy and lots fine debris. Can see a few patches of leaves on the bottom that I missed when vacuuming. Scooping them up stirs up more junk unfortunately. A little heartbreaking but it will get there.

Thanks for all the info and replies.

20160528_070434_zpsbbhex3rl[1].jpg

5/28 10am
FC 10
CC 1.5
CYA >30

Added enough chlorine to get back up to 12ppm.
Added 4oz of dry stabilizer to a sock in the skimmer.
Used leaf rake to get all the remaining big leaf pieces off the bottom.

:D It's starting to sparkle a little bit. at least the top 6" or so!! Getting excited!

5/28 2:45pm
FC 8.5
CC 1.5
CYA >30
Added chlorine to get FC up to 12 or higher.
Water quality continues to improve but still very cloudy.

5/28 9:30pm
FC 10
CC 1
Added chlorine to get FC up to 12 or higher.
Will check CYA in the AM. Hoping to see it at 30 finally.

Rain coming tomorrow and Monday so hoping to get in the final stretch of this SLAM tomorrow.
Anything else I need to be mindful of towards the end of a SLAM?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
5/29 7am
FC 12.5
CC 1.0 (could tell it is close to being under 1.0)
CYA >30 (still under 30, should I be concerned that my CYA is not coming up?)

Water quality continues to improve. FC seems be holding more. I'm sure I'm on the right track other than CYA.
Will keep brushing, skimming and filtering.
SLAM has been relatively simple and painless. Patience is DEFINITELY a virtue. My wife is getting anxious. Hoping we can swim later this week or maybe next weekend.

20160529_072453_zpsyaxrdipn[1].jpg

5/29 4pm
FC 8
CC 1
Added 32oz. of chlorine to get FC back up to 12

5/29 10pm
FC 11.5
CC 1
no chlorine addition tonight. Will check again in the AM and see how much drop I'm getting still.

Need to brush the bottom really good and get everything stirred up good. Ready to get this SLAM finished up. Water feels and looks inviting. Other than the pretty strong chlorine smell.

Hi! I just found your thread. You are doing a great job so far. The color is looking better with each picture. Keep the SLAM up. I am sorry to say the last part seems to be the longest part-------finial clearing to a jewel. It WILL get there. Just keep the FC up and the pump running.

IF you have some time to babysit the filter you can add some DE to it. BUT you have to be there for the first couple of hours to make sure it does not cause too much of a pressure rise.

Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

This will help filter out the fine stuff.

Kim:cat:

5/30 9pm
FC 9
Added chlorine to increase FC to 12

5/31 7am
FC 11

5/31 12 noon
FC 10
CC >1
CYA is still under 30. :(
Added 4oz. of dry stabilizer to a sock in the skimmer.
Added chlorine to increase FC up to 12.

Was glad to see CC under 1. One of the criteria for finishing SLAM if I recall correctly.
And the water is getting much clearer by the hour. Should be able to see the bottom soon.
Hoping the rain forecast is less than predicted.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.