Solar Cover around pool stairs with railing

May 27, 2016
South Elgin
I have a 24' round above ground pool that has stair with a single railing. Every time we get a solar cover I need to cut it to accommodate the railing and every year it tears and I wind up purchasing a new one. I have tried to tape the cut and the tape never sticks. Anyone out there found a way to avoid cutting the cover? I have tried to just bunch it around the railing but all it takes is a storm or a strong wind to blow it and the pool is exposed and losing heat. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

My first thought turns to what I would do when I have a crack in a fiberglass spa or a saw blade gullet. If you leave the crack, it will continue to grow and tear with pressure and movement. If you drill a hole at the end of the crack, the crack will stop growing. Have you tried cutting your slit and then at the end of the cut instead of taping, cut a neat circle. Like dotting the "i" but no gap between the dot?

I've done this before with other types of plastic sheeting but it MUST be done outdoors - use an old (i.e., willing to throw it out when done) soldering iron tip and solder iron to melt/cut the plastic sheet. Like cauterizing a flesh wound, the melted plastic will be thicker and harden up. But please do it outside as melted plastic fumes are not good in confined indoor spaces.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

My first thought turns to what I would do when I have a crack in a fiberglass spa or a saw blade gullet. If you leave the crack, it will continue to grow and tear with pressure and movement. If you drill a hole at the end of the crack, the crack will stop growing. Have you tried cutting your slit and then at the end of the cut instead of taping, cut a neat circle. Like dotting the "i" but no gap between the dot?

This is what I do around our stairs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.