Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $600 Grill

1. Back To Top    #1

$600 Grill

Propane. Any recommendations in this price range?
    Helpful Links: Pool Chemistry 101 - Recommended Levels - Recommended Chemicals - FC/CYA Chart - SLAM Instructions - Pool Math
    Test Kits:
    TF-100 - Taylor K2006 - SpeedStir Upgrade - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test
    My Pool:
    28k IG built May 2015 - Autopilot SWG - Pentair VS Pump/DE Filter/Heat Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: $600 Grill

If you could spend just a bit more, I highly recommend a Weber Genesis. Built solidly and Weber stands behind their grills with great customer service. They're more expensive than the other mass market brands but the extra quality is worth it. I used one for 8 years with no problems except the igniter before moving and getting a built in. You have to spend much more to get better quality than Weber.
    17k IG plaster pool+ spa, Stonescape mini-pebble midnight blue, marble coping, Trex and porcelain tile decking, Pentair Intelliflo VSP x 3 (filter, laminars and spa jets), Pentair IC40, Pentair MasterTemp 400, Pentair Quad DE 100, Pentair CC 150 for laminars, Intellibrite 5G LEDs, MagicStream Laminars x 3, Intellitouch i9+3 automation with Screenlogic2, IntellipH, Dolphin s300i, TFTest kit, SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

Super disappointed with my stainless steel Char-broil TRU-Infrared grill... looks nice, but that is about it. I've been eyeballing this one at Lowe's: Shop Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn Black Triple-Function Combo Grill at Lowes.com
    ............................................................ ........................
    Kayak Pool - 12 ft. x 24 ft. rectangular, 5˝ ft. deep end
    Frog System, Sta-Rite-Modular Media Cartridge Filter, Pentair 1 H.P. pump
    AquaPRO Pro500 heat pump & Automatic AutoGuard™ Pool safety cover
    ............................................................ ........................

4. Back To Top    #4

I bought the Weber E310 last spring and I love it.
    I usually dont entertain parties of more than 6 and the 310 will handle that easy enough.

If you need a bigger grill, then the Genesis is the ticket.

check out YouTube videos for both models.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

I second the Weber Genesis recommendation. It's a bit more than $600 but they last forever and if you ever need parts, they're readily available.

I got tired of buying $200-300 grills that fall apart in a few years. I've had the Weber Genesis for 3 years and its as good as new.

You will often find Weber grills still in service 10-15 years after purchase.

16x36 Vinyl Pool - 22.5K gallons.
    Jandy Stealth 1hp pump - Jandy CS-150 filter
    Jandy Legacy 250k heater - Jandy Ei SWCG
    Jandy Watercolors LED light
    Paramount Vanquish in-floor cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

Def going with a Weber.

Is the size the main difference between the Spirit E310 and the Genesis?

I want to get a cover too, so that really puts the Genesis over my budget.
    Helpful Links: Pool Chemistry 101 - Recommended Levels - Recommended Chemicals - FC/CYA Chart - SLAM Instructions - Pool Math
    Test Kits:
    My Pool:

7. Back To Top    #7

I got a cover for my Genesis 330 from Amazon. It's held up nicely even though it's not a Weber branded cover. It's made by Texas Covers.

Amazon.com : Texas Gas Grill Cover 7553 Premium Cover for Weber Genesis Gas Grill Including Grill Brush and Tongs : Patio, Lawn Garden

16x36 Vinyl Pool - 22.5K gallons.
    Jandy Stealth 1hp pump - Jandy CS-150 filter
    Jandy Legacy 250k heater - Jandy Ei SWCG
    Jandy Watercolors LED light
    Paramount Vanquish in-floor cleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

I think the size is the main difference. Lowes has them and you can have a look side by side. One very noticable difference other than size of them, is the weight of the lid. The genesis lid is much heavier than the one on the spirit and I dont think its just because it's bigger. Im pretty sure its made of heavier gauge steel. Very likely the bottom pan is heavier too.

Having said that though, unless you need a Big grill, I dont think you'll be disappointed with the Spirit at all.

Equipment Review: Best Gas Grills Under $500 - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by pinguy View Post
    Def going with a Weber.

Is the size the main difference between the Spirit E310 and the Genesis?

I want to get a cover too, so that really puts the Genesis over my budget.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

9. Back To Top    #9

Another vote for a Genesis...
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by carlos31820 View Post
    You will often find Weber grills still in service 10-15 years after purchase.
    Our current Weber is 25 years old and has had several part replacements over the years, still works but the heat is pretty uneven. Time for a new one. I appreciate all the Genesis recommendations, but I think I'm going to opt for the Spirit.
    Test Kits:
    My Pool:

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

I have the spirit also, if you can wait till winter walmart has them for 50% off (if they have any leftover)
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    I have the spirit also, if you can wait till winter walmart has them for 50% off (if they have any leftover)
    This is for Father's day!

13. Back To Top    #13

Weber all the way. Mine is under the cover. Smoked a delicious brisket lastnight too on the Sams pellet smoker.

Built Aug 2015- 20x40 26000 Gallon free form gunite, White plaster w/ 50% blue quartz, 2hp Jandy Stealth, Polaris 280, 2 skimmers,2 floor drains, 5 returns, bubbler, Grotto waterfall. 2 24" sheer decents, Jandy 48 DE filter, Jandy Aquapure PLC1400 SWG, 2 Color changing led

14. Back To Top    #14

499.00 at lowes and they will deliver it to you.

- - - Updated - - -

499.00 at lowes and they will deliver it to you for free.

Divin Dave,

15. Back To Top    #15

I second staying away from the CharBroil Tru-infrared . Gets really hot and does a nice steak but will smoke out a patio in 2 seconds flat. Also about 3 weeks in the porcelain coated grates started rusting. I have a neighbor with a Traeger pellet grill and if I had it to over again I would get one of those.
    Friendswood TX, 23x39 free form , 20K gallons , 3 HP VS pentair , 1 HP whiisperflo, Pentair easy touch , 400k BTU pentaier heater, Deck Jets, Pentair 5g LED Lights. Tanning ledge with bubblers. Taylor 2006 test kit

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Ocgasman View Post
    If you could spend just a bit more, I highly recommend a Weber Genesis. Built solidly and Weber stands behind their grills with great customer service. They're more expensive than the other mass market brands but the extra quality is worth it. I used one for 8 years with no problems except the igniter before moving and getting a built in. You have to spend much more to get better quality than Weber.
    This... Rated #1 by consumers reports

Starting day 5/25/2015 INTEX AGP 24'x12'x54" 8400 gal, with salt and borax, INTEX 16"sand filter, WM Hayward Skimmer, Intex SWG CG-28669, 1 1/2" hard plumbed PVC, Lil' Shark Vacuum With Leaf Canister, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

17. Back To Top    #17

Weber basically defines this market. In Canada we also have Napoleon Prestige series in the mid-range grille arena (and a worthy challenger).

18. Back To Top    #18

I have a Weber Spirit gas and a Weber Performer Charcoal for the slow relaxing cook days. Here in Canada Broil King makes quality grills as well.
    Kafko 15x28 Rectangle granite grey liner pool - Kafko 8 foot granite grey steps / Kafko 8 foot granite grey sunledge - Hayward Equipment - Kafko Safety Cover - Beachcomber 750 hot tub

19. Back To Top    #19

Weber also, had mine for at least 10 yrs. Love it. Had the shop bend me up some 16 ga stainless drip bars last summer and really evens out the temp.
    13700 gal, 32'x16'x54" AG oval, vinyl, Echo Canyon II, 8500 series, Narrow Yard, Safety Fence & Stair, Sta-Rite Crystal Flow T-210WF, 44 GPM, Hayward SP1580TL 1HP Pump, Aqua Luminator, Festiva wedding cake steps, March 2006, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Sample Sizer. Avatar Credit: TJ Townsend

20. Back To Top    #20

I have a Genesis S-330 (I never use the side burner fyi). It's ok. It's really not enough BTU for me and it's starting to rust and crack already after about 2 years but nothing major. I've smoked on it and it's done pretty well (turkey, pork shoulder, brisket). It actually does better for slow and low then for high temp searing due to the lack of BTUs. If I could go back I would have paid extra for the Summit (much higher BTU). I also bought the rotisserie which I used once and didn't like (chicken was unevenly cooked, etc..). I do highly recommend getting grill lights though.

Like someone already said, the discrepancy in price between the Weber grills and the more premium models are fairly large so Weber is a good mid-tiered grill at a reasonable price. Also, I miss charcoal cooking, I used to have a $70 dollar black weber kettle and I absolutely loved it, but the gas is so much more convenient.

I've heard the difference between the E and S series is the manufacturing. E is made in China and S is made here... or something about the steel, I forget. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...rica/index.htm

If you can afford it I think you'll find that the S-330 is recommended everywhere for a great price/performance ratio.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast