Water leakage coming from water return fitting

Jun 20, 2015
Oak Creek/WI
I've opened up my above ground pool for the year now that we're hitting constant 60-70's and noticed a couple of leaks, both on the pressure side of the pump. The first leak was easy to spot, cracked pipe. The other leak is driving me nuts, and I'm not too sure what piece is causing it where the filtered water gets pumped back into the pool, on the outside wall where the jet is.

Here is a picture of the connection.

http://i.imgur.com/wTG6OiA.jpg

You can see the bead of water forming underneath. At first I thought the water was coming out from the grooves. I had a similar issue last year and tightening them sealed the leak. This year however, it's coming from the connection above those, specifically where the black arrow is pointing in this picture.

http://i.imgur.com/aQRGWsv.jpg

I'm 100% certain the leak is coming out from here. Whether or not there's a leak inside the jet that is causing this, I don't know. When the pump is off, I leak maybe 1 drop of water per second. When the pump is on though, the leak turns into a full trickle of water.

Do I have to take this apart to find the issue, or can I seal it up from the outside?

I had great results solving similar challenge - the vinyl liner in the area of the return/pressure pipe had become badly stretched and the cover plate and washers no longer sealed. I removed the cover plate over the return pipe and washers/seals and placed heavy clear vinyl (bought at local fabric shop) patches on both sides of the liner - completely covering and sealing the original hole. I used the 3M 5200 marine sealant/adhesive on both patches, which is easy to work with and can be used in/out/above/below water. It is much easer to wok with than HH-66 and similar products. I let the patches set for two days before reconnecting the return pipe and plate. After the plate and pipe were reconnected, I used an exacto-knife type razor to cut out the new hole in the center of the orifice of the return pipe cover plate. That was two years ago and it is still holding great.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.