Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand in pool

Is it normal to get some sand in the pool? I noticed when I clean out my robot there's sand in the bag.
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand in pool

You shouldn't be getting any sand from the filter in your pool.

Have you done a deep cleaning of the sand filter?

Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

Deep cleaning Intex sand filter - YouTube

Lets try that first.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

Depends on where you live. If you live in Victorville, CA or Phoenix, AZ or anyplace with "Dunes" in the name, I'd expect it.

If you think it's coming from the filter, rubber-band a hole-less sock over the returns. If the sand doesn't reappear after vacuuming it up but the sock is full of it, you know it's internal.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I never deep cleaned. I wish I thought of that before I opened n got everything running.

I live in Jersey ( 50 miles from nearest beach) so it must be from filter. I hope it's not a broken lateral. The filter is about 4 yrs old. I never changed the medium. It's called echo glass. Ever hear of it?

By the way u guys are the best donate your time like u do. We really appreciate it!!
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner