Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter Gauge Problem - First Time Opening

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter Gauge Problem - First Time Opening

Hi! I am attempting to open my pool for the first time by myself. Everything seemed to go fine except that pressure gauge on my filter is reading zero (no movement at all). The person who closed the pool last year put the gauge in the pump basket & it has been sitting in a small bit of water all winter. Something has gooed/bubbled on the inside & outside (maybe lubricant?). It doesn't appear to be touching the needle.

My questions is this... everything seems to running fin/normally & I have a swamp that I am anxious to begin getting cleared up. Is it ok to go ahead & leave the filter running until I can get a new one to try? Or should I ABSOLUTELY make sure the gauge is working before I continue? Obviously, I would be keeping a super close eye on everything. Opinions?

20160527_121617.jpg
    Kelly
    ~~~~~~
    32x16 rectangular vinyl in-ground pool (21,000-23,000 gallons?) filled with well water. 24" Hayward sand filter & a Hayward super pump (unsure of model # or specifications). TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filter Gauge Problem - First Time Opening

You can get a nice new gauge right here:
    TFTestkits.net
    And they aren't even expensive.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Those kind die in freezing winter. Options. You could leave it on recirc until:

1. They sell them in pool stores for super cheap. They don't last long but they are quick.

2. TFTestkits.net sells a really nice one for not much more $.

If it were me I would put it on recirc, buy a cheap one locally and then order the TFTestKits one and swap them out when it arrives. Then put the cheap one inside somewhere and keep it for a quick spare.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you both for the info! I didn't realize that TFP sold gauges. Going to recirc, buy a cheepy, & then order a decent one from TFP.

Can't say enough how much I appreciate those of you who always help me on this site!!!
    Kelly
    ~~~~~~
    32x16 rectangular vinyl in-ground pool (21,000-23,000 gallons?) filled with well water. 24" Hayward sand filter & a Hayward super pump (unsure of model # or specifications). TF-100 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

it's fine to run without a gauge.

just make sure you regularly check your baskets for debris.
    ~22,000 gallons, freeform, Pebbletec, beach entry AquaRite SWCG v1.33 Hayward Tristar SP325EE pump for main draw & skimmer Hayward sand filter S310S 1.5 hp booster pump Paramount PCC2000 in-floor cleaner, skimmer, debris containment canister Waterfall Pentair Intellibrite 5g LED light in Pentair stainless wet niche Jandy Lite2 heater: removed Auto-fill: deactivated

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by pixiedustbelly View Post
    Thank you both for the info! I didn't realize that TFP sold gauges.
    TFP doesn't sell gauges. TFTestkits does.
    23,000 gallons IG gunite, pebble (I think)
    Hayward SP2610X15 1.5 HP Pump, Hayward sand filter
    Mineral Springs SWCG (it's actually Hayward/Goldline), Hayward Goldline T-CELL-15
    Polaris pool cleaner (with booster pump)
    TF-100, SpeedStir, K-1766 Taylor Salt Test, Lamotte Borate test strips