Need advice on a new cover

Aug 8, 2011
Central MA
I have a 27 foot above ground round pool. Every year I battle with this thing to keep the leaves out/off of it because the cover invariably sinks back into the water, I get leaves in the water and the water is green and it takes me gallons upon gallon of chlorine to SLAM it. Pillows ain't cutting it.

My idea is to get a 24 foot cover which would measure 28 feet in diameter (I've already found one), put that on and hang water or sand filled gallon bottles all around it to keep the cover completely taught. That way I can blow the leaves off and no more green water (at least not to the extent it's like now when I first take the cover off in the Spring).

Any ideas? I think it's a fabulous idea myself but hey I'm biased. What I do know is that I cannot find a cover for an exact 27 foot pool, it's either for smaller ones or bigger ones and the bigger ones are WAY too big. I need to take an exact measurement of the pool to the outside of the rim/lip/edge.

I tried that last year sort of. I built a dome and used stakes and gallons of water to try to hold it taught. My pool is 21' and it took a large amount of force to keep it taught the grommets were coming off. And yours being 27' would require even more. It's a good idea but probably wouldn't work.

My question is, why is all of the leafs and gunk getting into the pool water? Do you mean when you take the cover off some of them inevitably will fall in? If that's the case I would just get a siphon on a hot day and remove all the icky water off the cover then let the leaves dry out in the sun and blow or rake them off that way.

Also, instead of a pillow try a 50 gallon drum (plastic) worked great for me.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I tried that last year sort of. I built a dome and used stakes and gallons of water to try to hold it taught. My pool is 21' and it took a large amount of force to keep it taught the grommets were coming off. And yours being 27' would require even more. It's a good idea but probably wouldn't work.

My question is, why is all of the leafs and gunk getting into the pool water? Do you mean when you take the cover off some of them inevitably will fall in? If that's the case I would just get a siphon on a hot day and remove all the icky water off the cover then let the leaves dry out in the sun and blow or rake them off that way.

Also, instead of a pillow try a 50 gallon drum (plastic) worked great for me.

Yeah, I have an oak tree somewhat nearby and the amount of leaves can get silly. When I remove the cover, even with two people, it's impossible to get it off without everything winding up in the pool and because the cover is so big it sinks down into the water and stays there. I need something smaller and better fitting so I can keep the darn thing out and above the water.

I see.. I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean by it sinking down into the water. Even if you don't have a pillow or barrel the cover should float on the waters surface until it rains then it would fill up and appear to be sinking. Unless you have a bunch of holes in the cover.

I would recommend getting a new cover unless you're sure there's no holes in yours put a barrel under it, then get yourself a leaf net that goes over the cover. You can make that leaf net taught over the barrel and rails then blow it off of there. You can take the net off after the leaves have fallen too.

Our cover came with one of those wires that you feed through the holes around it aND then tighten. We have harsh winters here and it stayed on all winter. We had a ton of water on top and leaves so we siphoned most of that off before pulling the cover off, otherwise the cover would have been to heavy to pull off without getting the water in the pool.

Our cover came with one of those wires that you feed through the holes around it aND then tighten. We have harsh winters here and it stayed on all winter. We had a ton of water on top and leaves so we siphoned most of that off before pulling the cover off, otherwise the cover would have been to heavy to pull off without getting the water in the pool.

Mine had the same thing but the cover was WAY too big. I simply need a better fitting cover. If I can't keep it taught I'll need a leaf net. My goal is to keep the cover out of the water, period. That will result in less green water in the Spring.

I had to dump a massive amount of chlorine in my pool this year to get it clear. It still smells. I don't want a repeat of this next year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.