First Year Opening After switch From Baquacil (Pix incl.)

Husky25

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2015
"East of the River" CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
This Thread could probably go in a number of places, but I wanted to share my experiences over the last 12 months on TFP.

My pool came with the house my wife and I bought in 2007. I had a pool growing up so I had planned on leveraging my father's expertise, but one problem: Neither of us had even heard of Baquacil. There were instruction manuals left behind and the water was clear, so I had no reason to doubt the system. Eventually though, my water turned cloudy and the pool store guys (who had less of clue about the system) kept selling me "quick fixes" that only fixed one thing: the volume of their cash register. Long story short, I joined this site, Got myself a TF-100, and converted to a chlorine base.

Fast forward to two weeks ago. To my disgust, this is what my pool looked like immediately upon opening:pukel::
20160514_1056181_zpsytto8mfx.jpg

I vacuumed the shallow end, backwashed, and blindly ran the vacuum around the deep end. After I backwashed again, I ran a panel of tests, pH was high, but I had yet to added stabilizer. I also added 3 gallons of 12.5% NaCl.
20160514_152408_zps237qj1rp.jpg

An hour later, I brushed the pool and brought Chlorine back up to SLAM levels. This was the scene 4 hours after the cover came off:
20160514_165146_zpstyfjihv5.jpg

My wife and I went out that night, so the only thing I did from this point until the next morning was backwash one more time to bring down the pressure. By the next morning however, I was looking at this:
20160515_093400_zpspyb3sc7n.jpg

I passed the SLAM a couple days later. People without a pool and especially without kids may wonder, "To what end?" To which I respond, "to this end. To this end.:cool:"

20160525_181815_zpsdtfxcyau.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.