Bonding Grid: re-visited

Titan7

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2015
Peoria, AZ
I had one before the concrete was installed, 4 connections points (4 on the pool, one on the attached SPA) of#8 copper that were attached the rebar shell prior to shotcrete. Since I took detailed photos and video of the build I knew the exact location of all of them, we did lose one lead on the pool during demo. So now I am down to 3 on the pool one on the spa. We are not putting concrete back in, pavers this time. So the NEC 2008 says a halo of #8 copper surrounding the pool between 18-24" from the water buried between 4-6" deep in the sub base is required. but I am getting conflicting info that it only needs to be connected to one of the leads copper leads attached to the pool shell? Also, if more are required will I be okay with the 4 remaining? The option to fix this is drill/chip into the pool shell shotcrete to expose rebar and attach a new lead to the rebar. Now perhaps its me but If I don't need to do this I would rather pass on that exercise.

thanks!

All of your connection points to the pool should be connected to a #8 copper wire which should be connected to your deck grid in several locations. Call the Fullerton building department and ask them what they expect to see. If you know where that 4th lead was I'd expose and use it. It will create a better grid. While technically California is on its own version of the 2008 code, call the building department and see how they feel things need to be done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.