Need some help ASAP - a 9 year old's birthday party depends on it!

The 2006 I ordered before the tf100 did show up today, so I might just use that. I was planning on returning it but my back is to the wall here. I guess I will just have a ton of testing stuff - hopefully I can use it all before it expires.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Two test kits is still cheaper than one visit to the pool store for some free testing. :testkit:

OK - I've got some numbers.

FC: 11 (I've been adding a couple of jugs of 12% bleach a day)
CC: .4
PH: upper 6's? Color was lighter than the lowest on the scale though I ran the base req test and it says I'd need 13 lbs of soda ash to bring it to 7.4
CH: 100
TA: 70
CYA:close to 200? I drained half the pool a few days ago and refilled with fresh water and it's still that high. The scale didn't go past 100.

So plan of action? I'm guessing drain and refill 1-2 more times before addressing pH/hardness? Takes around 30 hours each time I drain/refill. Yikes.

bf921c79215f6d73ea6acd46ce012f8f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In the interest of a birthday party... To achieve 170 PPM down to 80 PPM, drain/refill:
One exchange drain 60%
Two exchanges drain/refill 36% (total drained/refilled 72%)
Three exchanges drain/refill 26% (total drained/refilled 77%)
Just offering this for information. Others would have addressed your risk management issues.

Also, take a look at this thread. While not an approved method, the approach deserves attention.
New User - Doing first drain - What do I need to know? - Page 4

It's a very long thread, so this video might convey the method quickly.
Dropbox - Day 2

Exciting thread and you got this. You're going to make it!

The 2006 I ordered before the tf100 did show up today, so I might just use that. I was planning on returning it but my back is to the wall here. I guess I will just have a ton of testing stuff - hopefully I can use it all before it expires.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I did the same thing as you, tried to return the first one to Amazon but they wouldn't take chemicals shipped back. But they still refunded my money and I ended up some extra reagents. I had no problem using them up.

OK - performed two half drain/refills and I've finally got some numbers that are OK.

PH: 7
CYA:70 (was hoping for lower, but I'll take it!)

So the Total Alkalinity should be 100, correct? Looks like 176 oz of Baking Soda?
And the pH should be 7.5, so 130 oz of Borax?
If so, should I just add them all into the skimmer and give them a while to recirculate? And is it OK that my sand filter is still inline? I'm guessing even if some of it gets caught in the filter it would just dissolve quickly?

Also, it seems to me that the pH would go up if I adjust the Total Alk - so the amount of Borax I need would be lower - correct? Should I add the Soda first and re-take the pH test, then calc Borax needs?

Thanks!
dan

TA of 70 may be Ok. I would add enough Borax to get pH to 7.4 and then monitor pH for a few days. If it goes back down, then increase TA, but if it holds stable then TA of 70 is good. It's much easier to raise TA than lower it. Also, adding the Borax will increase TA a little bit.

How is your FC doing?

When you start the SLAM process, you can switch to the 10mL sample size for the FC test to save reagent.

If I were you I'd say CYA of 70 is good enough and start the SLAM process.

Also, when adding borax or baking soda I pour them slowly in front of a return vs. putting in the skimmer. They dissolve very easily.

TA will be the last thing you work with..............right now get your PH to 7.2 the start the SLAM! The more you MAINTAIN the SLAM level of FC the faster it will go.

How does your water look today with all of that draining?

What an awesome Dad! You letting her help with the testing? You should!

Kim:cat:

OK - performed two half drain/refills and I've finally got some numbers that are OK.

PH: 7
CYA:70 (was hoping for lower, but I'll take it!)

So the Total Alkalinity should be 100, correct? Looks like 176 oz of Baking Soda?
And the pH should be 7.5, so 130 oz of Borax?
If so, should I just add them all into the skimmer and give them a while to recirculate? And is it OK that my sand filter is still inline? I'm guessing even if some of it gets caught in the filter it would just dissolve quickly?

Also, it seems to me that the pH would go up if I adjust the Total Alk - so the amount of Borax I need would be lower - correct? Should I add the Soda first and re-take the pH test, then calc Borax needs?

Thanks!
dan
Whoa whoa whoa

The pool is still not sparkly, correct?

Stop messing around with stuff that doesn't matter and SLAM Process. That 7.0 pH won't stay there for long and you won't be able to mess with things once the FC gets to shock level. You're close enough, so get some chlorine in that pool! You have a deadline!

By the time the SLAM Process is finished, pH should be better. TA is the last thing you worry about, and extremely easy to fix later. CYA is manageable. CH doesn't matter in your vinyl pool. That leaves.... FC!

If you maintain 28 FC all day long and brush and vacuum until your arms want to fall off, you might be able to run the OCLT tonight. That just depends on how much sludge you removed by your repeated drains.

I would even say start the SLAM at 7.0. pH is most probably going to be going up with all the aeration during the SLAM.

As Kim said, ignor TA for now, heck at 70 it may be happy there forever.

Let's get he water clear for the party.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.