Need some help ASAP - a 9 year old's birthday party depends on it!

Dan, I am in central Minnesota.

I get my liquid bleach from Menard's. 1 gal 12.5 % is $3.99. You just missed a sale earlier this month where it was buy 1 get 1 free, which brought the effective cost down to $2 per gallon.

Baking soda comes in 13.5 lb bags from Sam's club.

Borax and Washing Soda (Sodium Carbonate) from Walmart.

I knew nothing about pools before buying a house with a pool in '98. Struggled with my pool for over 10 years. Pool always turned cloudy or green 1/2 to 3/4 into the season. Then I stumbled into this website and I "saw the light". What I didn't realize was my by using only granular chlorine and pucks were raising my CYA to very high levels, which meant that chlorine levels had be raised even higher. Never had a problem with water for the past 6 years ever since I purchased a TF-100 test kit and adopted the Trouble Free Pool BBB method.

Call it odd, but for whatever reason when I open my pool in May, the CYA reading is usually 0 (never been higher than 20) on opening. So I use granular and pucks until the CYA is 40, then switch to liquid chlorine.

Go time!
47ad271c2f4440110b41487c29eafff1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

My first suggestion is to stop going to the pool store. Their only response it to sell you something or give bad advice (they have done bot to you by the way).

I will tell you, it didn't get like this overnight and it will take time to clear. June 11 may be pushing it but may be possible. We can teach you how to get it sparkling and keep it that was for a lot less money than the pool store.

Not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. But, what can you do?? We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100 and at least include the XL option today. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with ABCs of Water Chemistry and Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

You have a big pool, so with the pump running I want you to add 1 bottle (121oz, 8.25%) concentrated bleach in the morning and at night until the test kit comes in.

The tarp method really isn't necessary as it doesn't work that well. For now a 50% drain/refill will get your CYA in the 70-80 range which is survivable.

Replacing water through evaporation doesn't reduce CYA. When water evaporated, it leaves the CYA behind in the pool water.

If you don't order the test kit today, June 11th by our methods is probably not in the cards.
Really?! Evaporation doesn't diminish CYA?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Really?! Evaporation doesn't diminish CYA?
Jason already answered, but yes. As the water evaporates all of the dissolved materials in solution remain in the water. So, if you could test to that level of specificity, the CYA actually rises as water evaporates because there is the same amount of CYA in less water. Add water back and the CYA level goes back to where it was.

CYA only goes down when you remove the solution in whole, meaning the water as well as the dissolved materials contained within. Kids splashing water out of the pool, you CYA goes with it. Dog jumps in and leaves wet, he takes CYA with him. Backwash the sand filter, CYa goes down.

You get the picture......

Jason already answered, but yes. As the water evaporates all of the dissolved materials in solution remain in the water. So, if you could test to that level of specificity, the CYA actually rises as water evaporates because there is the same amount of CYA in less water. Add water back and the CYA level goes back to where it was.

CYA only goes down when you remove the solution in whole, meaning the water as well as the dissolved materials contained within. Kids splashing water out of the pool, you CYA goes with it. Dog jumps in and leaves wet, he takes CYA with him. Backwash the sand filter, CYa goes down.

You get the picture......
I do. Thanks.

I'm so bummed - the USPS says they delivered my TF-100 to the "front desk" at my address, but no sign of the package and I don't have a front desk at my house lol. Wonder where they left it? :-/ Trying to track it down now with them - I was so excited to get going on this!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.