Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wet Edge Prism Matrix inconsistent color

1. Back To Top    #1

Wet Edge Prism Matrix inconsistent color

I had Wet Edge Prism Matrix (Deep Sea Blue color) installed in our new 40' x 20' pool last year. I went with this expensive product because I was told that it wouldn't fade like many other more "standard" plaster products in darker hues. It is nice overall but I'm rather disappointed because the color is inconsistent throughout the pool. There's considerable white streaking and blotchiness all over the bottom of the pool detracting from the gorgeous dark blue color. My pool company tells me that this is normal but when I look at videos online of the same color installed in pools I don't see any color inconsistencies. This problem was noticeable only in one area upon completion last August but has gotten considerably worse since then.
    They tell me that this is the white plaster pool surface bleeding through the Wet Edge product and that in order to resolve I would have to empty the pool and use acid to remove the excess plaster. Funny thing is that this is not occurring at all on the sides of the pool, only the bottom. I need to contact the company directly to get some advice on alternatives (other than emptying the pool) on how to resolve. Anybody experience similar issues? If so, what can be done to resolve? Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wet Edge Prism Matrix inconsistent color

That's odd that they are calling it bleed-through. I used to have a contact for Wet Edge, but I've lost it. My finish came out great, but I hate that you didn't have the same results.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

See if this article helps, Diagnosing Pool Plaster Problems
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    See if this article helps, Diagnosing Pool Plaster Problems
    Thank you for the information, hopefully it's just calcium scale that isn't permanent. I don't think it is (because calcium scale looks whiter and more pronounced versus faded) but if it is calcium scale, is there any way to remove without draining pool?

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe View Post
    Thank you for the information, hopefully it's just calcium scale that isn't permanent. I don't think it is (because calcium scale looks whiter and more pronounced versus faded) but if it is calcium scale, is there any way to remove without draining pool?
    Lower pH than normal (7.0-7.2) and time are the best, but some have had some success with brushing it off too. A little stainless steel brush works best in my experience. Thankfully I don't have to deal with that anymore though.

Can you post a complete set of test results please?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
    Lower pH than normal (7.0-7.2) and time are the best, but some have had some success with brushing it off too. A little stainless steel brush works best in my experience. Thankfully I don't have to deal with that anymore though.

Can you post a complete set of test results please?
    I am completely new to this and am using a LaMotte ColorQ electronic test kits. I ran two tests today and here are the results from each test:
    FCL 6.56 / 5.7
    TCL 6.69 / 5.85
    PH 7.6 / 7.6
    ALY 148 / 157
    CH 173 / 165
    CYA 2 / 2

One other question, is there an easy way to determine what's needed based upon these numbers? LaMotte has a paid service where you type in the numbers and your pool size (our pool has approximately 35,000 gallons of water) but it's a paid subscription service and might be overkill what my needs. Thanks again!

7. Back To Top    #7

We have Poolmath, link right up there ^^^^ for free! Poolmath will also calculate a CSI score for you.

Keeping the CSI at -0.5 to -0.6 and brushing the scale will help, slowly over time. Keeping it between 0 and -0.3 will prevent scale.
    More on scale here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling
    and on CSI here, Langelier and Calcite Saturation Indices (LSI and CSI)

Read some pool school on how to maintain you water, start here, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

The ColorQ has lots of reports of inconsistent test results. The TF100 from TFTestkits.net is the test kit I have been using for 4 years. Great kit.

You can add your pool info to your signature as shown here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

Is that enough for now? Come back for more later.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach