2 new's. New Jersey, new pool owner

Once the algae is all dead I'm so looking forward to jumping in. It has been in the nineties for the past couple of days. And I've been doing yard work in the heat longing for the moment to jump in the pool. Thanks to all of your help it won't be too long now. I appreciate it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about the Memorial Day forecast. It will top up your pool for you. Slight dilution maybe, but it takes a really good downpour to make noticeable differences. Keep up the 12 FC. All good.

You can swim at SLAM level - helps mix up the water :)

CANNON BALL! Yes you can swim with the FC just under the CYA SLAM level! That is the main one to watch for. Now a LOW PH could cause discomfort but you are okay there also.

I would wear an older suit just to be on the safe side for the color.

Kim:cat:

TFP methods are amazing! If you follow TFPC, there's a very good chance there won't be a next time :)

I still have a nagging concern about pH. We got 17 FC when targeting 12, so the MA addition may have similarly over-shot the goal, creating a chance the pH is lower than expected. When FC is above 10, pH reads high, but not by any amount that can be easily calculated. The pH was 7.2 at FC 12.5. so I may just be splitting hairs. Although not an approved method, you could find out for sure by buying some good quality distilled water and adding it to a pool water sample so that the FC is reduced below 10 PPM. Then do the pH test as normal, and we would get a pretty good reading. Reminder that this does NOT work for the PPM based tests.

I'm just keeping your heater in the back of my mind, so that when you can't wait to fire it, your balance is within spec for the heater. I'd be chomping at the bit to get in that pool too!

I'm not too sure the 17 FC was correct. Looking back at my notes, I dont see a 17ppm FC. I hope that there isn't any cause for concern if the pH is a bit low now. Then heater doesn't work, or at least that's what we were told by the previous owner. I've never tired to fire it up and the pool inspector didn't bother it since the owners said it wasn't working. Not sure if that changes the balance issue. I may just bypass it.

Good good, that's great. I got it from post 33 but maybe it's back when the drop count thing was a bit up in the air.

Don't give up on the heater too quick. There's people here with the expertise to help you make the decision when the time comes. Water will be balanced much the same either way, but it's done after the SLAM and FC drops below 10.

Looking back at my notes again and trying to remember that day, I'm thinking was just after a bleach run. I probably didn't consult the pool math but added a couple gallons of bleach since I had to run to the store and didn't want the FC level to fall before my return. According to one of my receipts, I was at the store half an hour prior. The latest this morning, I found 3 dead mice in the skimmer basket, I think the local cats are trying to tell me something. Do I need to do anything when I find dead animals in the pool?? There are a lot of squirrel, cats, bird and deer in the neighborhood
Good good, that's great. I got it from post 33 but maybe it's back when the drop count thing was a bit up in the air. As for the heater, I would love to get it going. Got a propane tank attached to it that is half full, shame to waste it. But its probably a 20 year old heater and I may not be able to find parts.

Don't give up on the heater too quick. There's people here with the expertise to help you make the decision when the time comes. Water will be balanced much the same either way, but it's done after the SLAM and FC drops below 10.

The heater
1ff44a9660feb125441f70c6a0a291bb.jpg

SLAM right away if you find a dead animal in the pool. Good thing you found them and we're already in a SLAM, so all is good. Plan for an OCLT tonight if the pool is looking clear to the bottom.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did rain top it up? Removing organics and dirt will help the SLAM do its thing (you mentioned some dirt on the bottom). Vacuuming to waste is good if you can spare the water, but not a necessity. You can vacuum with it running normally on the filter setting. If pressure rises 25% above clean pressure, then backwash. If it's not 25% higher than clean pressure, just let it keep filtering. The filter will remove cloudiness faster if it's a little bit dirty.

This mornings results are FC 11 CC .5 Looks even clearer than yesterday, I can really see the dirt at the bottom of deep end now.

- - - Updated - - -

Slam for dead mice also? I got a feeling this is going to be a problem if I got 3 in one night. If I should happen to find dead mice again next week when I'm out of slam, DO I add bleach to bring it up to 12 for 24 hours? Or increase the swg to 100%?

It didn't rain enough last night to make a dent in the water level, but it is supposed to rain a great deal today. I was just out looking and hoping the rain brings the level up. I have to try to find the vacuum to get rid of the dirt. There is a polaris that had been running but it doesn't seem to get up the fine dirt. I used it to get the bigger debris. I may just have to buy a vacuum if I cannot find it.

Pool Critter Escape Ramp

I just grabbed the first one I saw. Shop around to see if there is a better price.

LOL "I can see the dirt in my pool now :(" What a nice problem to have!

I push my FC up to SLAM level when I find yucky things in my pool. I don't keep it there. I just do a one time addition. I do not have a SWG so cannot answer about that.

Kim:cat:

Sorry, I should have said "shock" for dead animal. ("Shock" as in the technique, not "shock" as in the Pool $tore potion). Just raise it once to SLAM FC level when you find the problem.

If you're already up to your target normal FC, a fresh dead mouse is no big deal if it's only been there half a day. But if you came back after two days and there were 3 of 'em all soft and bloated, I'd definitely shock it. Or for a bigger animal. Kind of a judgment thing, but if in doubt, shock it. Best thing is to scoop them out before they drown, but not a suitable technique for deer, haha.

SLAM/Shock level (correct for your CYA) won't seem like a big thing once you get comfortable with everything.

Did you raise FC from 11 to 12? What does the CYA test at? It should all be in the water by now. I know the standard is to wait for a week, but lots of people have mentioned they see the full number after a couple of days. I just want to be sure we don't need to raise the SLAM FC level. That said, it sounds like you're doing a great job of this, although the three blind mice might not agree. :)

Yes I raise the FC up from 11. The cya tested at 30 PPM. I just ran out of the drops for the chlorine before I could complete the test. Gotta head to the pool store to get some more also the drops for the cya I'm down to one tube left

Looks like the weatherman got it wrong again a little bit of rain we had it supposed to move out of our area. So it looks like I may have to put a hose in the pool and feel from the well. Probably won't do that until after the slam is over

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.