Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ph a little low but.......

1. Back To Top    #1

Ph a little low but.......

Last year I had stains and did the A Acid treatment and worked pretty well. I use hth metal control ( little cheaper than Mikes magic) and seems to work. My question is I just finished shocking the pool and there are not any stains which is great! But my ph is a little low at 7.0, can I leave it there without any issues?

I kept it at 7.2-7.4 last year and battled stains all year. Hoping a lower ph might help
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Ph a little low but.......

7.0 is on the low acidic side, where is your CSI level at in poolmath?
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

That is good that you were able to shock with no stains. 7.0 is the lowest it should ever be. And is risky with a heater. 7.2 would make us all feel better about it.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok thanks.......do you think if I aerate it will bring it up enough?

And what is CSI?
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by ethany View Post

And what is CSI?
    Look at Pool Math.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

And what is CSI?
    If the TA is relatively high, say 80 or better, then aeration should help. The higher the TA, the faster aeration raises pH.

CSI is a calculation that tells you whether your water is corrosive to plaster or if it's likely to start forming Calcium scale. Scale starts as some rough blotches and can progress into homegrown sandpaper that will rub the skin right off any body parts that brush against it. Keep CSI below .3 and you'll be okay. Most people never have to worry about it.

If you post full test results, we can quickly give you a yes or no answer and avoid a lot of ifs.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Oh CH.......it's 250
    Fc-2.5
    Ph-7.0
    TA-80
    Cya-20 but yesterday put enough in to increase to 70

9. Back To Top    #9

Oh CH.......it's 250
    Fc-2.5
    Ph-7.0
    TA-80
    Cya-20 but yesterday put enough in to increase to 70
    pH should be higher, then. At

FC 2.5
    pH 7.2
    TA 80
    CH 250
    CYA 70
    Salt I'm guessing 3000 since you have a SWG
    Temperature 80

CSI is -.7. That's too low for plaster, and might be bad for the gelcoat on your fiberglass pool.

Raising pH to 7.5 brings it to -.43 which is okay. You want to keep the pH up with a SWG anyway. See Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks all.......my salt is a little high at 3300. I think I'm gonna do borates to keep things stable