Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! New pool owner

1. Back To Top    #1

Help! New pool owner

Hello! I am so happy to join Trouble Free Pool forum. We bought our house with a pool last summer. My husband seemed to have no issues with taking care of the pool. It was great. Right now my husband is deployed and so its been left to me and I am struggling. I am putting an order of the test kit in so in the meantime I brought a pool sample to our pool store. I had told her the chlorine level was non existent (from the test strips I still have). The pool was not green but it was cloudy. From their testing:

pH 7.2
    alkalinity 74
    calcium hardness 111
    total chlorine .91
    free chlorine .24
    chlorine stabilizer 30

They recommended I add 12 lbs of alkalinity increaser and 3 jugs of the liquid chlorine. Of course once I brushed the walls and floors, the pool started to look more on the green side. Not horrible but a greenish tint. They assured me my kids would be able to swim this weekend. This morning I found the pool to still be cloudy and a green. Using my test strips (I know... ) the Free chlorine measured very high. Is it still possible for my kids to enjoy the pool this holiday weekend? Please HELP!!!!...

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Help! New pool owner

How big is your pool?

It is not safe to swim in a pool that you can't see the bottom of.

Best bet is to probably add some* bleach every day with the pump running 24/7 and wait on the test kit.

The size question answers this.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
    How big is your pool?

It is not safe to swim in a pool that you can't see the bottom of.

Best bet is to probably add some* bleach every day with the pump running 24/7 and wait on the test kit.

The size question answers this.
    25,000 gallons

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry.. 25,000 gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

In that case I would add 1/2 gallon bleach each day. Then I would read this Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry over and over until your kit arrives

e: and this Pool School - Getting Started
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL

5. Back To Top    #5

Will do. Thank you

6. Back To Top    #6

Still waiting on the test kit ( I suppose the long holiday weekend is the reason). I have been adding bleach for days and scrubbing daily. Yesterday and today the water was no longer green once scrubbed. Now it remains blue but cloudy. I have only added bleach since our last post. ( I had added 10 oz of clarifier right before I joined this forum. Any suggestions until the test kit comes in?

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Here are a couple :

1. Fill out your signature

2. Post a picture or two of your pool.

8. Back To Top    #8

Trying to figure out photo upload

25,000 gallons IG, Hayward Pro series XL, sand filter, built 1996 (i will have to check), well water with dual filtration system, K-2006 kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
    Here are a couple :

1. Fill out your signature

2. Post a picture or two of your pool.

Quote Originally Posted by laarninat View Post
    Hello! I am so happy to join Trouble Free Pool forum. We bought our house with a pool last summer. My husband seemed to have no issues with taking care of the pool. It was great. Right now my husband is deployed and so its been left to me and I am struggling. I am putting an order of the test kit in so in the meantime I brought a pool sample to our pool store. I had told her the chlorine level was non existent (from the test strips I still have). The pool was not green but it was cloudy. From their testing:

pH 7.2
    alkalinity 74
    calcium hardness 111
    total chlorine .91
    free chlorine .24
    chlorine stabilizer 30

They recommended I add 12 lbs of alkalinity increaser and 3 jugs of the liquid chlorine. Of course once I brushed the walls and floors, the pool started to look more on the green side. Not horrible but a greenish tint. They assured me my kids would be able to swim this weekend. This morning I found the pool to still be cloudy and a green. Using my test strips (I know... ) the Free chlorine measured very high. Is it still possible for my kids to enjoy the pool this holiday weekend? Please HELP!!!!...

25,000 gallons IG, Hayward Pro series XL, sand filter, built 1996 (i will have to check), well water with dual filtration system, K-2006 kit

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Doesn't look too shabby! Keep stirring things up (brushing) and don't backwash your filter until you get to 25% over your post backwash psi.

Sand filter?

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes. Sand filter. So just keep scrubbing and adding bleach, nothing else? Will do. Thanks! Hopefully my kit will arrive tomorrow.

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

HI,

Yes, keep adding about 1/2gallon of bleach a day until your test kit arrives and brush brush brush. Once your test kit arrives, post up a full set of numbers for us. Also, you didn't buy that 12pounds of alkalinity increaser did you? I'd return that if you can. You can raise your alkalinity with baking soda but yours wasn't terribly low. Let's wait for YOUR test numbers.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

13. Back To Top    #13

Yeap! Just scrub and add bleach! It IS that easy. It will be even easier once your test kit gets there.

Signature:

-settings (upper right hand side)
    -edit signature (middle left hand side)
    -put in pool size and kind, equipment size and kind, test kit

I love your pool and area! That is SO pretty!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

I already had it on hand and applied it to the pool before I joined the forum. I added it about a week ago.

15. Back To Top    #15

I updated my signature. Still a bit of a mess but trying to clean it up. Thank you so much!

16. Back To Top    #16

That picture looks better than most public pools! You're doing very well considering you're working blind.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

17. Back To Top    #17

I finally received my kit! I first tested the free chlorine. So I was upwards of 50 drops to try and get the solution to go from pink to clear and it never happened. I started all over with a smaller sample and got 23ppm. Does that sound way off? Here are the additional readings so far this morning:

FC 23ppm
    pH 7.4
    Alkalinity 210
    Calcium Hardness 120
    CYA 35

Advice Please!

18. Back To Top    #18

Well you will not need to add any chlorine for a little while LOL.

Did you test for CC? If not please do so and report.

PH-do not test for PH when FC is over 10. You will get false readings.

CYA-call it 40. We round this one up.

What kind of pool do you have? plaster, vinyl Please put that in your siggy as well. (THANKS for filling that out!)

How does your water look today?

you are doing it! Was it fun to do the tests?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

That chlorine does sound high if you've only been adding 1/2 gallon of bleach a day. Can you confirm sample size and number of drops?
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by AimeeH View Post
    That chlorine does sound high if you've only been adding 1/2 gallon of bleach a day. Can you confirm sample size and number of drops?
    I switched to 5 ml sample and used 23 drops of reagent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast