Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Intex pool build soon, concrete pad expansion joints and best tarp

1. Back To Top    #1

New Intex pool build soon, concrete pad expansion joints and best tarp

Trying to see if our new Intex 18x52 will last longer this year vs the Coleman last year which leaked within weeks and a bad pump a few months later. I plan on putting this pool up within a few days and on the concrete pad (9 years old and solid) there are the usual expansion joints in the concrete. Curious if I should place some sand in those joints to prevent the liner from filling in those areas. Or other remedy? Additionally, I see the Harbor Freight tarps come up, are the silver tarps the recommended tarp for under the pool? I know the silly tarp which comes with the pool will last one month tops.

Thanks,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Intex pool build soon, concrete pad expansion joints and best tarp

Quote Originally Posted by ladman View Post
    Trying to see if our new Intex 18x52 will last longer this year vs the Coleman last year which leaked within weeks and a bad pump a few months later. I plan on putting this pool up within a few days and on the concrete pad (9 years old and solid) there are the usual expansion joints in the concrete. Curious if I should place some sand in those joints to prevent the liner from filling in those areas. Or other remedy? Additionally, I see the Harbor Freight tarps come up, are the silver tarps the recommended tarp for under the pool? I know the silly tarp which comes with the pool will last one month tops.

Thanks,
    Those tarps will not provide much cushion over concrete. I suggest using insulation foam boards as others have used here, or the interlocking foam boards which I have used, no issues with the expansion joints.

Is your concrete pitched slightly? Just keep that mind. You can be a little off level.

3. Back To Top    #3

How thick is your concrete pad? I am getting one built for an Intex Ultra Frame pool 18' x 9' x 52". The builder reckons it needs to be 6".

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by mikepier View Post
    Those tarps will not provide much cushion over concrete. I suggest using insulation foam boards as others have used here, or the interlocking foam boards which I have used, no issues with the expansion joints.

Is your concrete pitched slightly? Just keep that mind. You can be a little off level.
    3/4" foam is what I used and it is great. That will float over your expansion joints without issue. As Mike stated though, check the pitch of the current pad as it should have been when poured.
    Intex 16 * 48 Ultra
    2650 Intex Sand Filter
    Hayward Thruwall Skimmer
    Hardplumbed in 2014
    TF100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Don't forget the 3 strips of Gorilla tape over the seams in the insulation. Without it the seams in the insulation will spread and you'll still have grooves. I learned this from experience.
    Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)

6. Back To Top    #6

Mine is 4" and is fine for about a year now.. 😊
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

7. Back To Top    #7

Taterfink, how are your pool's metal parts?. My ultra intex is rusting severely in Jax after only one year with swg. This is the dogs pool primarily so it gets salt water splashed on the components frequently. But it looks terrible compared to our previous ultra intex without salt
    15' saltwater 8000 aqualeader, 5300 gal. 2016 hayward xtream 150 cart and 1.5 hp powerflo matrix pump, intex swg.
    Hotspring Grandee spa 2006. I love BBB. no borates in the pool only in the spa.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jmc001 View Post
    How thick is your concrete pad? I am getting one built for an Intex Ultra Frame pool 18' x 9' x 52". The builder reckons it needs to be 6".
    Mine is
    4" of gravel
    2" extra hard interlocking styrofoam
    4" concrete with wire mesh
    Jonas Åhgren Lives in Stockholm (Sweden)

Intex saltwater 24ft X 12ft X 52in Ultra Frame Pool mounted in a wooden frame and deck

9. Back To Top    #9

Definitely check the pitch on the pad. You may not see it but you could be off anywhere from 2"-5" and that's not safe.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by jaxhusky View Post
    Taterfink, how are your pool's metal parts?. My ultra intex is rusting severely in Jax after only one year with swg. This is the dogs pool primarily so it gets salt water splashed on the components frequently. But it looks terrible compared to our previous ultra intex without salt
    Have you seen my post on not using the metal frame? Will se how it goes in about a month from now. The idea is to hang it directly in my wooden deck.

Jonas Åhgren Lives in Stockholm (Sweden)

Intex saltwater 24ft X 12ft X 52in Ultra Frame Pool mounted in a wooden frame and deck

11. Back To Top    #11

Jaxhusky, here's a link to a thread of mine showing and explaining my rust issues. The 2 legs on either side of the skimmer rusted after 3 years but only really became an issue going into the 4th year. I did have minor rust on one other leg where it fit into the little black shoe.

intex, SWCG and rust
    Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)