Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with filter leaks

1. Back To Top    #1

South Park

Help with filter leaks

Hooked up a Hayward D.E. filter today that was given to me by a friend. Having issues with leaks it seems where the plastic fitting threads into the pump, as well as where it threads into the filter and at the big coupling that joins the 2 together. Person I got it from said it never leaked before. I removed everything, cleaned them up and put new teflon tape on everything and it's still leaking. Is there a secret on how to get these tight with no leaks or should I use something other than teflon tape? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Help with filter leaks

South Park? Like with Cartman? LOL!

More teflon tape. Or pull the teflon tape off and use pipe dope. They do not need to be tight.

It is good to have a state and a signature with equipment so we can help you better. More here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Help with filter leaks

On any fitting larger than 1", I tend to think pipe dope works a better.

Get ALL that old teflon off and I think you will find the pipe dope will give you a nice seal without having to "crank down" on the fiotting.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School