Help! Can't get a chlorine reading.

May 26, 2016
Pittsburgh/pa
I came across this site while searching the Internet in desperation. No matter how much shock I add, I have no free chlorine reading, but there is a total chlorine reading. There is no visible algae in the pool. It looks fairly clear. However, thinking there must be algae, I've tried the algaecides and phos removers. I recently shocked with 2.5 x the amount my pool should get and still have no free chlorine reading.

My pool is a 40,000 gallon inground pool. I'm a new pool owner. I feel as if i might as well be throwing dollar bills in the pool.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Welcome to TFP!

You are throwing dollars into that pool, algaecides and phosfree will not clear up your pool. And the shock might be making it worse too if your CYA is already too high.

It certainly sounds like you have algae. Cloudy water is a sign, low/no chlorine is another sign.

We operate on having a good test kit and only adding things to our pools that we need. I use the TF100 from TFTestkits.net. I've been buying mine there for 4 years now.

Start here, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Welcome to the forum. :wave:. As pooldv says, you are throwing everything but the kitchewn sink in your pool and you do not know the outcome of those additions. That's perfect for the pool store......they'll keep selling you more stuff and making more money but your pool will not be fixed.

TFP teaches precision testing, precision dosages and a very important understanding of the chemistry involved, If you are willing to take the leap, your eyes will be opened wide to how simple and straightforward this system is.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.......that's the best place to start.

The HTH kit from Wal-Mart may be helpful to test pH and to ensure you have "some" chlorine, but it cannot test accurate FC over 5 ppm which is what you will need. The strips are basically useless for all tests. We would strongly encourage you to order the proper test kit as pooldv mentioned in post #3 and that you see below in my sig (TF-100). It's packed full of Taylor reagents and other products designed to give you a season or two of usage at a great value. That's how you can properly test the water and complete the "SLAM" required to get that algae out of there. Believe me when I say that kit will pay for itself many times over compared to the products you've been buying at the pool store.

The recommended test kit has been ordered. I'm just waiting for it to arrive. Was hoping to possibly resolve the problem in the meantime. The pool looks crystal clear and smells like chlorine. Combined chlorine is still high, free chlorine is zero. Have not yet been able to get a free chlorine reading even right after adding shock. With the kit I have, I was only able to determine that the cya level is less than 30.

Now I'm not sure that algae is the issue? Since the cya is low, do i need to add stabilizer? Would I have a high combined chlorine reading if this is the case?

thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

The recommended test kit has been ordered. I'm just waiting for it to arrive. Was hoping to possibly resolve the problem in the meantime. The pool looks crystal clear and smells like chlorine. Combined chlorine is still high, free chlorine is zero. Have not yet been able to get a free chlorine reading even right after adding shock. With the kit I have, I was only able to determine that the cya level is less than 30.

Now I'm not sure that algae is the issue? Since the cya is low, do i need to add stabilizer? Would I have a high combined chlorine reading if this is the case?

thanks!

Probably best to not add anything else to the water except "regular liquid bleach" from the grocery store. Just regular/plain, none of that scented or splashless stuff. You have a large pool (please add info to your sig) so I would add 1 gallon each day until the kit arrives. Once you receive your test kit, we are going to run through a test or two to ensure there is no ammonia or anything else in the water that would impede your ability to perform a TFP "SLAM" and get that water healthy again. Hang in there. I know it's tough. With that HTH kit, just use the pH (red drops) and try to keep pH at about 7.2. Give us a shout when the test kit arrives.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.