Pump failed again.

jonmar

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 29, 2009
We had our pool installed in 2009. It's used 4 months of the year. We had it opened today and the pump doesn't work. It just hums. I checked the impeller and it cannot be budged so I don't think it's the capacitor. Gave it a few taps with a hammer too. Nothing. We had to have the pump motor replaced once already two years ago. So assuming it needs a new motor this will be the third pump in 7 seasons of use. Or put another way, 28 months. Is this an install issue or am I just getting lemons? It's a Hayward Superpump 1HP.

Secondly, my wife hates the noise that comes from it anyway. Can someone recommend a reliable and quieter pump? Do all energy efficient pumps require more wiring that what I have for a single speed? Thanks.

Well, just a thought before you go out an buy a new pump/motor ..... have you tried getting to the motor shaft from the rear of the motor? You may have to remove the rear cover. You should be able to get either an open-end wrench or socket on the end of it to turn the shaft a few times and break it loose. It might just be stuck from winter (rust and such). A little "persuasion" and it might be okay.

- - - Updated - - -

Now if the wife isn't happy, it doesn't matter. :) You may eventually want to replace your single speed with a nice 2 speed. More energy efficient and very quiet on low.

At a minimum, you will probably have to replace your timer that can control both the high and low speed.
If you are using a timer, then get a pump that doesn't have a hi/low switch installed on it. You'll have to wire from the hi/low terminals to the timer.

If you dont intend to use a timer, then get a pump with the hi/low switch built onto it. You'll just have to manually flip the switch whenever you want it to change speeds. Some people run wires from the speed terminals to a switch similar to a light switch mounted on the house to change speeds.

If you were to consider a variable speed pump, they are super quiet (even when running on high speed they are much quieter than regular pumps). They also have built-in timers, and you can set up schedule to run x hours on high and x hours on low. They also have built in freeze protection. There is not any additonal wiring at all needed for a VSP and eliminates the need for a external timer.

Generally, the more $ a VSP costs, the more options are available as far a programming, flexibility...etc. It's worth doing the research and see what each pump offers and make comparisons, then choose the pump that's the best fit for you.

Do you know if a two speed pump requires more wiring and electrical install?

Is the motor subjected to a lot of moisture during the months that it is not being used, such as during the winter months? Sounds like the bearings are getting wet and with them not being used tend to rust up faster. Do you remove the pump during the winter months? Actually, this is a good reason why filling out locations in your profile helps us. You may be in Florida/california where pumps get used year round or in Maine where they get used 3 months of the year.

Is the motor subjected to a lot of moisture during the months that it is not being used, such as during the winter months? Sounds like the bearings are getting wet and with them not being used tend to rust up faster. Do you remove the pump during the winter months? Actually, this is a good reason why filling out locations in your profile helps us. You may be in Florida/california where pumps get used year round or in Maine where they get used 3 months of the year.

I'm in Ontario Canada. The pump sits out during the winter months and is not covered. If the shaft is stuck and I can get it unstuck, will it likely fail anyway if the bearings are being affected?

My bet is that the shaft corroded in the seal area and bound up the seal. It could also be a bearing issue. As you will expect, I will recommend you pull the pump and put it away indoors for the time it is not being used during the winter months.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As a friend in commiseration, my pool pump did the exact same thing this spring when i opened. A hum (then a small pop) but no movement. The guy who closed my pool came by and "encouraged" it with a hammer gently as you tried. That worked for me BUT, it is now much louder than it should be. I'm sure the bearings need to be replaced. I've never done that myself and will likely defer. My guy will do it for $100 labor plus parts, which shouldn't be much.

As a side note, I asked my "closer" if he routinely removes pumps. He does for those who choose to pay the extra fee (not sure how much). I also have never covered my pump over the winter and the snow was feet high at points on it. So I'll probably try covering it (or maybe removing it myself) as some some safety since the issue has presented.

Well, just a thought before you go out an buy a new pump/motor ..... have you tried getting to the motor shaft from the rear of the motor? You may have to remove the rear cover. You should be able to get either an open-end wrench or socket on the end of it to turn the shaft a few times and break it loose. It might just be stuck from winter (rust and such). A little "persuasion" and it might be okay.

- - - Updated - - -

Now if the wife isn't happy, it doesn't matter. :) You may eventually want to replace your single speed with a nice 2 speed. More energy efficient and very quiet on low.

Gonna try this tonight since pool company can't come till Monday. Does it matter which way you try to turn the shaft? Counter or clockwise?

Ok. I applied pressure on the strong parts of the plate from two points. I'd say now 3/4 turns smooth. It does get stuck the other 1/4. Give it a try it keep screwing with it? And do I need to remount the capacitor and the cover to try it?

Pump is working. No water running through the basket though. How long should it take to get through the lines? I've never opened it myself. I have a main drain and I'm not sure if it's set to suck from there or not. Regardless shouldn't some water come up?

Sorry, been out for a bit. :) Any luck? It can sometimes take 1-3 minutes to pull water depending upon the elevation and length. Some pumps even go as far as to allow 5-8 minutes. Make sure there is nothing blocking water from entering the poolside skimmer and/or skimmer hole(s), then ensure the suction valves are in the open position.

- - - Updated - - -

Also try filling the pump strainer basket full of water then closing the lid and re-trying to ensure water gets pulled-in towards the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.