The results are in.....now what?

May 19, 2016
St Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Our pool was Bromine until we replaced the liner and subsequently the water. I have been circulating water for about 60 hours since the pool filled About to start using the TFPC method as I have been reading this site for several weeks now and am convinced it is the best way to go. the chemistry in my pool has become my new hobby..lol. My Taylor 2006 doesn't arrive until next week so had to us the Pool Store to get accurate readings on my water. They have some good equipment to test the water and provide a computerized printout of the report, with recommended steps to follow to correct the water problems. At this point I have not followed any of their instructions. Here are the results of the water test.

FC .55 Total C .78. CC .23
ph 7.7 TA 85 ppm
Hardness, which I assume is CH 135 ppm
CYA 9 ppm copper 0 ppm Iron .2 ppm

presently I am adding Stabilizer to get it to 30 ppm. Store recommends I shock, should I? I am not sure the CC calls for a shock? Any advice?

This is a completely fresh fill, correct?

I'd like to know where the 9 ppm CYA came from. Even if the pipes and filter were full of overstabilized water, that's not enough water to make it even register on the test after it gets diluted with 30000 gallons of fresh. So either their state-of-the-art system is wrong or you've been adding dichlor or trichlor or CYA stabilizer.

If those readings are correct (And I doubt they are) then all you need is some stabilizer to boost CYA and some bleach. The rest is fine.

I have added stabilizer as I knew it was at zero as it was a new fill. I put in 1.75 kg of stabilizer yesterday, tested water today. When I used the Pool Math calculator it said what I added should have raised the CYA to 15, but the reading was 9. My question is, how long does it take for the Stabilzer to fully take effect? I added granular in a sock in the skimmer, and squeezed the socks to help the process along, so all of the stabilizer was out of the socks yesterday. Should I expect the CYA to still raise still?

Hey tex, they recommended I raise the ph, and add calcium. Total cost for their recommended chemicals was $75. The sad thing is most people would just add it...as told. I was most people....UNTIL NOW. I estimated that I spent $650 on chemicals for my pool annually. I suspect I won't be spending that this year...I won't be fooled again...isn't there a song that suggest that?.lol

Good for you Steve! You're absolutely correct on that about the pool store. As for the CYA, once dissolved, it should show most of its CYA in about 24-48 hours. But you can give it 2-3 days to be safe before adding more if you want. You mentioned you were raising the CYA to 15? Is that 15 total, or did you mean increasing by 15 ppm "more"? You'll want a minimum CYA of 30 to get started this season. Just wanted to be sure. :)

Is was at 0 so was expecting a reading of 15. I am looking to achieve a minimum of 30 ppm on my total cya so need to raise it another 21 ppm to get there if all my cya was being read In this test. I only have enough to raise it another 15 ppm anyway, so have added it. I won't add anymore until I can test accurately again. So right?

- - - Updated - - -

I meant "sound" right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.